EGR Vacuum Regulator-Code 84

22Stang

Jun 28, 2004
Bay Area, CA
My Check Engine Light keeps coming on So I pulled the Engine codes and I got Code 84- EGR Vacuum Regulator Circuit Failure. I Replace the Vacuum Regulator and checked all of the vacuum lines they look alright. I am completely stumped on this problem :shrug: . I also got a Code 31, which is EVP below Minimum voltage which I believe is caused from not enough Vacuum to open the EGR. Anyone have any ideas or Advice? I would really appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

CODE: 31 (KOEO) - EVP circuit below minimum voltage. Vref (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer) missing or broken wire or bad connection in circuit. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS or MAP sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. Use the black/white wire for the ground for the DVM. With the sensor removed from the EGR and still connected, press the plunger and watch the voltage change on the brown/lt green wire.
Pull the passenger side kick panel and measure the voltage at the computer. You will need to remove the plastic cover over the wires and probe them from the backside. A safety pin may prove very useful for this task. Use pin 27, EVR input (brown/lt green wire) and pin 46, signal ground (black/white wire) to measure the voltage. The orange/white wire is Vref and should always be 5 volts -/+ .25 volt. Be sure to measure Vref at the EGR sensor to rule out any broken wires or bad connections.

Code 84 EGR Vacuum Regulator failure – Broken vacuum lines, no +12 volts, regulator coil open circuit. The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum. The solenoid coil should measure 20-70 Ohms resistance. The regulator has a vacuum feed on the bottom which draws from the intake manifold. The other vacuum line is regulated vacuum going to the EGR valve. One side of the EVR electrical circuit is +12 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side of the electrical circuit is the ground path and is controlled by the computer. The computer switches the ground on and off to control the regulator solenoid.

See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/19/59/5a/0900823d8019595a.jsp for the electrical wiring diagram

And

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ for the vacuum diagrams.

Here’s an EGR test procedure I copied from cjones

to check the EGR valve:
bring the engine to normal temp.
connect a vacuum pump to the EGR Valve
apply 5 in vacuum to the valve.
if engine stumbled or died then EGR Valve and passage(there is a passageway through the heads and intake) are good.
if engine did NOT stumble or die then either the EGR Valve is bad and/or the passage is blocked.
if engine stumbled, connect vacuum gauge to the hose coming off of the EGR Valve
snap throttle to 2500 RPMs (remember snap the throttle don't hold it there).
did the vacuum gauge show about 5 in vacuum?

if not, check for manifold vacuum at the EGR vacuum valve.
if you have manifold vacuum, then connect vacuum gauge to the EGR valve side of the vacuum valve and snap throttle to 2500 RPMs.
should read about 5 in vacuum

I typically use engine vacuum to do the first test. I use the spare vacuum port on the vacuum tree near the windshield wipers.