Electric Fan Question?

What is the best route to go with an electric fan? There are so many out there it is hard to choose. I have a friend that has the black magic and is happy but I have heard a lot of bad press on the cooling abilities. Another friend had the proform which looks just like the black magic fan and he ended up ditching the fan cause it would not keep the car cool. I know a lot of people use available factory fans from other car makes but I was not sure what to get. My car is approaching 300rwhp and a supercharger will be going on the car later in the year putting that mark around 400rwhp so I will need a decent cooling system. Also I have the Ford Motorsport 3 core radiator. Any suggestions for prooven fans that will keep the car cool in the hot muggy summers of the south?

• Sponsors (?)

Have you guys ever installed a Mark VIII fan with an aftermarket radiator? I bought a MarkVIII fan, but I think with my Griffin radiator I'm not gonna have enough room. I looks like it will hit on the water pump. :shrug:

I agree with the Mark VIII and I just put one in with the Griffin radiator I had to trim about a half an inch off the fan square part to get it to fit, but it did. It is very close to the water pump bolts about a half an inch. Though I have had no problems with it hitting and I also hove a 351 in there so the 302 should have more clearance from other cars I have seen.

Mark VIII All the way

Daren, you already know how I feel about the Mark VIII. One week later still no regrets. Everything is working fantastic. It pulls a lot of air and a lot of amps. It's quieter than the Proform as well. I Know that you're not running AC but I wouldn't take any chances. I had to do a lot of trimming but you can make it look very neat. I mounted mine upside down. It seemed to give me a litte more clearance.
Anyone want to buy a slightly used Proform?

60 amps! thats nuts. Mine pulls 11amps on low speed, dont know what it pulls on high, I never have used it. I have a 95ish taurus fan and it keeps my coolant at 185* sitting in traffic/w a/c on. I have a modine 3-core rad. Keeps the temp at 165* with a/c off. Its very quiet and moves plenty of air. I can feel it blowing from the drivers seat if I stick my hand out the open door, and best of all it was $25 and easy to find at the local boneyard.

351GT said:
I agree with the Mark VIII and I just put one in with the Griffin radiator I had to trim about a half an inch off the fan square part to get it to fit, but it did. It is very close to the water pump bolts about a half an inch. Though I have had no problems with it hitting and I also hove a 351 in there so the 302 should have more clearance from other cars I have seen.

So, you are saying that you trimmed some of the shroud off? Cool, I'll give it a try! :nice:

My opinion is you can't really go wrong with the sn95/Taurus/Continental or Mark8 fan. I grabbed my fan off of a Continental and it's the same exact as the Taurus. I can't wait to put it in. But I really think you can't go wrong with any of those fans.

Matt

I have the SN95 fan on my Mustang and as strong as it pulls, it's still no match for the Mark VIII fan on my Mark VIII ;).

And yeah these fans do pull a good amount of power. Over 100amps on startup and a continous 30-40 amps. The Mark VIII pulls almost 50 amps when it runs

I'm with Jerry Beach. Taurus fan is a very good one. It's a two speed and like Jerry, I can run it on low with the stock alt with no problems. Now, living in the south, I will definitely have to upgrade alts and set the fan up on high next summer.

I really wanted the Mark VIII, but I couldn't find one at a junk yard. Plus I don't like the idea of 35-40 continuous amps. For the price and availability, you can't beat the Taurus. You can find it at almost any junk yard and only pay $20-40 for one.

Just my $.02?

I run a spal fan because I had it laying around from my 65. I live in las vegas where it gets well over 115 degrees. This fan is mounted in the factory shroud, I paid 95 bucks for it, pulls somewhere around 3000 cfm and keeps my car cool in traffic with the a/c on. I also have a 3 core rad from pepboys. With the a/c on in traffic the fan will actually shut off!!!! Meaning it is pulling the temp below 180. So this fan rocks. Or at least my cooling system does. Later

I am running a permacool 16" electric fan. It looks like a flexfan and fits inside the factory fan shroud. It only pulls 12-14 amps and puts out 2950cfm. It keeps my supercharged Stang at around 180-190 degrees on a hot day. It was super easy to install and is extremely quite. You can hardly hear it even with the car off. Summit Racing and Jegs sell them for $88