86stroker347

Oct 24, 2017
Hey guys I’m new to the forum, just bought a 86 GT hatchback and the passenger window goes up and down fine when you use the switch on the drivers door, but if you try to roll it up or down with the switch on the passenger door It doesn’t do anything and it shuts off the radio, when you let go of the switch the radio comes back on. I haven’t really torn into it, the door panel is still on it but do y’all think it’s grounding out somewhere? I have no clue what’s goin on. Also, I have a problem with the door locks, the passenger door locks when I hit the power lock switch, drivers door doesn’t lock and no matter how hard I push on the lock to manually lock it it springs back up. I haven’t looked into this either but I’m just looking for a place to start.

• Sponsors (?)

The door locks are a reasonably simple fix....you need door lock actuators. When those things lock up you can't push them down to lock the door.

Could always take the old actuators out and rewire switch for nitrous purge...lol

Anyways, the window switch in the passenger door may be bad. ( that's the first guess ). Or, for some unknown reason, the switch wiring could be shorting out to speaker wire or ground. With all the years on that switch I'd replace it....can't loose.

If you touch two speaker wires together the radio will cut off to protect itself.

Reactions: 1 users
Post the your particular symptoms in the tech forums and we will try to help you work out your problem, you should also down load the 86 vacuum and wiring diagram for the 86 model that jrichker posted for future repairs.