Electrical question (Burnt airbag module 94 cobra)

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
OK, let me start by saying electrical is NOT MY THING....AT ALL. Anyway, The airbag module (blue one under the stereo in my 94 cobra) fried. It smells burnt. I took it out, and pulled the top blue plastic off and I can see the one of the parts is burnt. Through research I see that it is Metal Oxide Varistor MOV40? Whatever that is...So, here is my questions. I was blowing fuse #4 (airbag module fuse 10 amp) every time I would put one in. It seems that this module was the culprit, but to verify if I put a fuse in the #4 slot without the module being plugged in, if there was a wiring problem prior to where it plugs into the module would the fuse blow? And if it doesn't blow can I safely figure that the module itself is what was causing the fuse to blow?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Whenever your messing with the air bag wiring stay clear of the bags just in case. Disconnect the battery and use a jump wire connected to the plug for the module and see if power is at your fuse, if you know how to use a multimeter you can check continuity but I get confused sometime using one, I would say that module is bad, obviously.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I'm gonna just see if it blows up.....;)

Screenshot_20180320-224140.jpg

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Ok, happy to say airbags are still intact. I did some testing and it is just the module that is bad. I have a other one (go figure right?) but didn't want to install it until I knew there wasn't a bigger problem. All is good, no more inbound missile alerts blinking in my cluster.

Reactions: 1 users