emission light, gas tank problem...

I looked in this forum to see if anyone else posted about this happening with their cars, and I didnt see anything, so I'm sorry if this is a double post.

Anyway, my mom has a gt, and she recently has had to take the car to the dealer for something that is going on with her emission light and the gas gauge. She says that either after she gets gas, and the car is just sitting at a light or something, or just randomly, the emission light comes on, and the gas gauge drops to E but the car still runs. She obviously still has gas in the tank at this point. And the first time she took it to the dealer for this problem, they said that Ford just sent them a bulletin, a week before she took the car there for this, and that if they put this additive in the gas tank, twice, because of some kind of erosion that is building up in the fuel lines through the sending unit i guess, that this additive would clear it up. Well, they put that in, and it still happened. So she took the car back and they put the additive in again and it is still doing it and they have no idea why the car is doing this. I think she said then if that didnt work then their only other option would be to drop the gas tank and put a whole new sending unit in. She has said it seems to not be as bad as it was, but it is still doing it.

So, my question to you guys is, are any of you having this same problem, and does anyone have a solution that stupid Ford obviously doesnt?

Thanks! :)

• Sponsors (?)

I have never heard of that before...is she using decent gas? Besides, for the world in me I can't see Ford using some type of material that can get eroded that quick in these new Mustangs. Sounds like to me an electrical or computer issue. Good luck on that one...I hope that don't happen to me!

the new stangs use a dual sending unit set up, because it is a hump style tank. if they dont read properly, it makes the gauge read improperly. i have heard about this additive with corvettes. its a techron additive. it does clean up the fuel system for the vettes. i had a problem with the gauge after i had the tank replaced. they put in a new sender and its ok now.

well her car is definetly an early one because she had it built for her right after they came out. i just think its ridiculous that ford thinks adding this additive will work, and obviously it isnt, and they dont kno what else to do about it. but thats the story of a ford dealer i guess.

me too

I am having what sounds like a similar problem, error code followed by the gas gauge dropping to E. So far it's only happened to me once and I hope it won't rear it's head again. Did you ever find a resolution to this issue if so please post.
Thanks

im not sure if the problem has been taken care of. the last i knew, she was taking it to the dealer again, and they were just going to replace the lines. which maybe seems to have taken care of it, because her car hasnt gone back to the dealer for a little while now. ill have to ask her and let ya know!