Engine Bone Dry - No Oil, Coolant

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
So I was on the highway earlier and my coolant light came on for about 2 minutes. It went off as soon as I exitted. On my way back, my oil pressure gauge would jump (fast) to nothing (low), then back up to normal. It did that when I stopped the car, and when I started going again (stop lights).

So I brought her home, let her cool down, then I checked the fluids (oil, coolant). The oil doesn't even touch the minimum mark, and the coolant is about 8 inches low.

What are some major causes of this? Also - do they relate in any sort of way, or is it 2 seperate leaks? What I mean is, if the oil gets low, does it automatically make the coolant low, or vice versa.

sick96gt is on his way; he's taking me to the store to get some oil.

sick96gt FTW!!! He doesn't want a repeat, hehe.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, sometimes when the oil is very low, when you accelerate the oil pressure will "dip". What is most likely happening is that all the oil from the pan is in circulation in the engine and the oil pump is now dry. It will go up again when the engine rpm goes down and the oil returns to the pan.
But.. what might be happening is that the coolant is entering the oil system, which would also cause the erratic oil pressure issue. If the oil looks like a chocolate milkshake then this is the case, most likely you have a blown head gasket, worse case, a cracked block or head.
since you probably don't know what the coolant level was immediately prior to running the interstate, it too could possibly cavitate and cause the light.
There's some dye available that will indicate combustion in the coolant, this would mean a blown head gasket or head/block issue.
Essentially, check the condition of the oil, do a compression check, or at least a plug read, refill the coolant, then check the oil psi using a real gauge. Be wary of any bubbles in the radiator.
Let me know what you find.

hope its not a bad head gasket. if you continue to have the problem you could do a pressure test on your radiator/coolant. also wouldnt hurt to do a compression test & or leakdown test

could be two sepperate problems all together. Like stted about check the oil for a milky look. Also check the coolant how does that look.

How many miles on this car, probably leaking coolant from somwhere and possible burning off oil. Whens the last oil change you did, old oil will burn off .

NOTE: I HAVE EMPHASIZED IMPORTANT AREAS SAVE TIME IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ IT ALL.

Was the car smoking on the highway? Does the oil look milky?
No smoke was appearing at the time that I realized my oil was low. I do recall seeing white smoke out of my exhaust when I floored it in 4th to pass someone one time...but that was like a week ago. The oil doesn't look milky at all.

I put 5 quarts of 10W-30 in last night (it said it was full), and then I drove it around for a few minutes. I checked the oil today and it was a real dirty color, like oil usually gets when it's been in for a bit. It probably mixed with the oil that was already in there.

could be two sepperate problems all together. Like stted about check the oil for a milky look. Also check the coolant how does that look.

How many miles on this car, probably leaking coolant from somwhere and possible burning off oil. Whens the last oil change you did, old oil will burn off .
As for the coolant, it took about 3/4 gallon to fill up. Checked it today, looks pretty green, not discolored at all. I think I'll flush the system soon anyways.

Today I drove 90 miles to see my gf before I have to start back to school. I was kind of weary, but I figured it would only prove what the problem is.

I just got back inside from checking the oil and coolant, and both are still pretty full. Oil is still touching the max line and coolant is about 1/16th of an inch below the spout.

I had a crack in my heater core a few months ago. I used Bars Stop Leak to seal it up. It could be leaking again, so when and if it gets low again, I will throw another bottle of that in.

Until the oil sinks down again, I will try to park in the same spot to see if I have any leaks. I'll be sure to check the coolant and oil every day. I'll let you guys know what happens.

NOTE: I HAVE EMPHASIZED IMPORTANT AREAS SAVE TIME IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ IT ALL.

No smoke was appearing at the time that I realized my oil was low. I do recall seeing white smoke out of my exhaust when I floored it in 4th to pass someone one time...but that was like a week ago. The oil doesn't look milky at all.

I put 5 quarts of 10W-30 in last night (it said it was full), and then I drove it around for a few minutes. I checked the oil today and it was a real dirty color, like oil usually gets when it's been in for a bit. It probably mixed with the oil that was already in there.

As for the coolant, it took about 3/4 gallon to fill up. Checked it today, looks pretty green, not discolored at all. I think I'll flush the system soon anyways.

Today I drove 90 miles to see my gf before I have to start back to school. I was kind of weary, but I figured it would only prove what the problem is.

I just got back inside from checking the oil and coolant, and both are still pretty full. Oil is still touching the max line and coolant is about 1/16th of an inch below the spout.

I had a crack in my heater core a few months ago. I used Bars Stop Leak to seal it up. It could be leaking again, so when and if it gets low again, I will throw another bottle of that in.

Until the oil sinks down again, I will try to park in the same spot to see if I have any leaks. I'll be sure to check the coolant and oil every day. I'll let you guys know what happens.

stop dumping that stop leak crap down your motor, that stuff gunks everything up and causes more problems if this is a car you are going to keep for more than a few months..

Personally i would never use that stuff unless it's to get me around for a week or so and I was junking the car.

now that you added coolant make sure there is no air pockets by running the heater at idle and see if you have strong heat.

If you put in 5 quarts you must have a serious leak, unless you have not changed the oil in like a year. The car take 5 quarts so try to pinpoint a oil leak if one is present. As for the coolant, prob is your heater core as you stated.

Are you saying you had to ADD 5 quarts or you just drained the old and put in 5 fresh new quarts? If you had to add 5 i'm surprised your car still even runs!

As for adding the stopleak, I had to do that when I first bought my car as I was broke and the radiator had a pinhole leak that was draining the coolant to the "low coolant" level every week and a half or so. I'm STILL getting that crap out of the system after 2 flushes...it's a PITA to get out.

What kind of stang you workin on? year?
Sorry, I usually ALWAYS post that info.

1998 Mustang GT Convertible 5 Speed Manual

Are you saying you had to ADD 5 quarts or you just drained the old and put in 5 fresh new quarts? If you had to add 5 i'm surprised your car still even runs!

As for adding the stopleak, I had to do that when I first bought my car as I was broke and the radiator had a pinhole leak that was draining the coolant to the "low coolant" level every week and a half or so. I'm STILL getting that crap out of the system after 2 flushes...it's a PITA to get out.
I had to add 5 quarts...I didn't drain any out at all.

Come to think of it, the last time I changed my oil, after completely draining it, only a few quarts came out. This was about 2 months ago, I think. I must have a small leak...or I am burning off a lot of oil.

As for the coolant...I haven't had any problems yet having put that stop leak in. I have a few people that swear by it, but I will flush it soon. How do you know when it's completely out?

OK, here's the problem, you have several issues with the car that are not fixed properly, ie: the radiator leak, the heater core leak. that bars leak as stated, is a last ditch effort for a low $$ temporary fix, it can, and probably has in your case masked other problems. It sounds like the coolant leak has miraculously fixed itself (for a short time), but the oil, does it look like a milk shake? if it does, there's water in the oil. The other thing is that these mod motors like a pan full of oil. I autocross a 99 and have had the oil light come on with a quart low, sometimes when I race itm I'll actually over fill it by a 1/2 quart. (opposed to some drag guys who leave out a 1/2 quart) because the oil "stands up" in the pan and runs the pump dry. Based on that I would NEVER EVER allow one of these motors to go more than a quart low. The other thing is that the oil had to go someplace, it just doesn't evaporate. Lastly, how the compression/plug read going? if the plugs look clean, then there's probably water in that cylinder. I'll be honest with you IMO you need to step up because thiscar doesn't sound like it is being maintained very well.

As for the coolant...I haven't had any problems yet having put that stop leak in. I have a few people that swear by it, but I will flush it soon. How do you know when it's completely out?

I'm not completely sure...i'm still getting it out 1.5 years later! When you drain the coolant though you're going to have to clean out the reservoir because it'll be full of gunk, then let the stuff you drained out sit in a bucket/pan/whatever for like 10 minutes. Take a look at it and you'll see the coolant on top (whatever color...green is what mine is) and then at the bottom of the container you'll see a 1/2-1cm thick layer of brownish sludgy crap that is the stopleak. Every time I flush the system there is less and less of it, but there are still slight little remnants in there.

OK, here's the problem, you have several issues with the car that are not fixed properly, ie: the radiator leak, the heater core leak. that bars leak as stated, is a last ditch effort for a low $$ temporary fix, it can, and probably has in your case masked other problems. It sounds like the coolant leak has miraculously fixed itself (for a short time), but the oil, does it look like a milk shake? if it does, there's water in the oil. The other thing is that these mod motors like a pan full of oil. I autocross a 99 and have had the oil light come on with a quart low, sometimes when I race itm I'll actually over fill it by a 1/2 quart. (opposed to some drag guys who leave out a 1/2 quart) because the oil "stands up" in the pan and runs the pump dry. Based on that I would NEVER EVER allow one of these motors to go more than a quart low. The other thing is that the oil had to go someplace, it just doesn't evaporate. Lastly, how the compression/plug read going? if the plugs look clean, then there's probably water in that cylinder. I'll be honest with you IMO you need to step up because thiscar doesn't sound like it is being maintained very well.
First off, let me say thank you. In no way do I take offense to your opinion, because I am pretty sure you are correct. I don't feel that I've done a good job maintaining this vehicle, as it is only my second car, first Mustang. I do try my best though. The car, however, does have 220,000 miles on it.

At the time, I was looking for a low-cost temporary fix. I wasn't ready to pull the dash out and replace the heater core. I was REALLY low on funds at the time.

The oil is not a milky color at all. I will do an oil change today as well as flush the coolant. As Dusstbuster said, I will let the coolant I drained sit for a while and then check it for the gunk. I will also check the spark plugs on each cylinder. I might go out and get a compression test done today between classes.

Another thing is that my oil light never came on, which made me think that it was an immediate leak. I think it's been burning oil for a while, as I have no stains where I park, unless it just drips when I drive.

Lastly, let me tell you how much I appreciate your time and honesty. I am going to dig my Haynes out and start following the routine maintence schedule for my car strictly.

Maybe. But I'll be honest...I thought that the oil dipstick would measure HOW MUCH oil was in the engine...not how much NEEDED to be in the engine.

After reading my Haynes, I saw that it takes 1 quart of oil to get from the MIN line to the MAX line...I am definitely doing an oil change before I drive it any further! There is probably WAY too much oil in the car right now.