Engine building know it alls come in!

1fast03pony

Member
Jul 1, 2003
749
0
17
New york
Ok heres the deal

Theres been some toying with ideas of getting a second car to mod the **** out of and keep my stang as is, but its not flyin

Ive made some decisions as to mods, and i need a little advice

My hp goal is anywhere from 450-500 whp and im being broad because i dont want to stress about that right now

I want a built motor that can handle that power. That being said, I've been lurking over at the MPH forums and checkin out the blower setups everyones got. I saw a particular setup that seemed nice, its "jdstang03"s setup and It includes:

sean hyland stroker "mod" 302ci
sean hyland stage 1 heads
foxlake p-51 intake
55lb injectors
vortech sq
2.8 blower pulley with 8-rib kit
sct maf meter
anderson powerpipe
bbk 75 mm tb
bbk long tube headers

596hp/519tq

Im pricing these things out, and holy **** are they expensive.
Im just concerned here about the motor build/forge. I know what supercharger id like to get and thats decided. Im just not sure about the stroker block and heads.

Question: go with a fully built block and heads to go with it

or just get a forged rotating assembly and call it a day...

I feel like this is a "do it right the first time" issue and if i 'settle' for the internals id be severly limiting myself safety and powerwise.
The difference between the SHM stuff and the rotating assembly option is about 4 grand.

What to do? any ideas?
 
Don't mess with SHM. Call Tim at MPH for some real guidance, he won't steer you wrong. He can do the full buildup for you and you will spend less than anything that SHM will do.

Either way 500+rwhp will not be exactly cheap.
 
1fast03pony said:
Ok heres the deal

Theres been some toying with ideas of getting a second car to mod the **** out of and keep my stang as is, but its not flyin

Ive made some decisions as to mods, and i need a little advice

My hp goal is anywhere from 450-500 whp and im being broad because i dont want to stress about that right now

I want a built motor that can handle that power. That being said, I've been lurking over at the MPH forums and checkin out the blower setups everyones got. I saw a particular setup that seemed nice, its "jdstang03"s setup and It includes:

sean hyland stroker "mod" 302ci
sean hyland stage 1 heads
foxlake p-51 intake
55lb injectors
vortech sq
2.8 blower pulley with 8-rib kit
sct maf meter
anderson powerpipe
bbk 75 mm tb
bbk long tube headers

596hp/519tq

Im pricing these things out, and holy **** are they expensive.
Im just concerned here about the motor build/forge. I know what supercharger id like to get and thats decided. Im just not sure about the stroker block and heads.

Question: go with a fully built block and heads to go with it

or just get a forged rotating assembly and call it a day...

I feel like this is a "do it right the first time" issue and if i 'settle' for the internals id be severly limiting myself safety and powerwise.
The difference between the SHM stuff and the rotating assembly option is about 4 grand.

What to do? any ideas?

Why do you say you will be limiting yourself with just the rotating assembly? It will be just as good yet cheaper if you do it right.
 
RedGTvert said:
Don't mess with SHM. Call Tim at MPH for some real guidance, he won't steer you wrong. He can do the full buildup for you and you will spend less than anything that SHM will do.

Either way 500+rwhp will not be exactly cheap.


I was thinking this as well. Im ready to spend money to get to my goal, but like anyone else in here I wont overpay for it.

TweekedGT said:
Why do you say you will be limiting yourself with just the rotating assembly? It will be just as good yet cheaper if you do it right.

I just feel that the heads would compliment the setup alot better with more power. Im new to engine building so im tryin to do as much research as possible
 
price out VT engines too for your engine build. i have heard good things about both vt and MPH. and if i was building this motor i would go big bore or stock displacement. i know some people get ok results with strokers, but i feel the stroke is already to long compared to the bore in this motor and any longer will make for even more extreme rod angles ( not great for high rpm's) I know it's more money but i would get a aluminum block sleved and go big bore. it will be worth the extra money in the long run.
 
There is only about 5 companies I would buy a performance modular motor from.

Boss 330 on Modular Depot
Modular Performance
Modular Power House
Renegade Racing
Steen Racing

I went through Renegade Racing for my 5.0L Big-Bore.
 
my .02 if 500hp is your goal and you will stick to it don't overbuy on the shortblock or buy stroker or big bore anything like that.

buy a shortblock good to 500hp ~2500. then boost it on the stock heads and cams. this will get you 500hp the most economical way.

all the other mods are nice but they start getting you into insane money and it is already going to be expensive as hell.

you could use the KB 1.7L. you may even consider the 2.2L if you don't mind getting a hood. you could also do a novi mongoose kit from MPH. I just think if your boosting on a budget spent you money on the bottom end and the blower. the power will be there.
 
Thanks for the info guys

hognutz said:
my .02 if 500hp is your goal and you will stick to it don't overbuy on the shortblock or buy stroker or big bore anything like that.

buy a shortblock good to 500hp ~2500. then boost it on the stock heads and cams. this will get you 500hp the most economical way.

all the other mods are nice but they start getting you into insane money and it is already going to be expensive as hell.

you could use the KB 1.7L. you may even consider the 2.2L if you don't mind getting a hood. you could also do a novi mongoose kit from MPH. I just think if your boosting on a budget spent you money on the bottom end and the blower. the power will be there.

Yes i was thinking about the 2.2l. the hood is not an issue but the money is insane. I wanted to go a little cheaper and the novi 2000 kit looks to suit my needs well- I wanted to save some dough and upgrade clutch, tires, and other misc. stuff like control arms. I dont want a blower and built motor with all that power and nowhere to go (and start breaking other things)
 
svttech76 said:
price out VT engines too for your engine build. i have heard good things about both vt and MPH. and if i was building this motor i would go big bore or stock displacement. i know some people get ok results with strokers, but i feel the stroke is already to long compared to the bore in this motor and any longer will make for even more extreme rod angles ( not great for high rpm's) I know it's more money but i would get a aluminum block sleved and go big bore. it will be worth the extra money in the long run.


Ill keep this in mind. Great advice guys thanks
 
1fast03pony said:
Thanks for the info guys



Yes i was thinking about the 2.2l. the hood is not an issue but the money is insane. I wanted to go a little cheaper and the novi 2000 kit looks to suit my needs well- I wanted to save some dough and upgrade clutch, tires, and other misc. stuff like control arms. I dont want a blower and built motor with all that power and nowhere to go (and start breaking other things)

well to be honest if you ever hook up good with 500hp and stock rear and tranny you might wish you were not hooking up.

yeah the novi will saver you some coin and you will need it. I would at minimum buy a good rear cover and weld the tubes and torque boxes on the rear as it is not that much money and it might make your rear live longer.

you have the 3650 so if don't just beat on it hopefully the tranny will live. a centri also has leass torque down low so that help.

the down side the centri is the whole stock intake thing. so if you planed on buying a nice aftermaket intake as well that is where the KB stuff shines as you don't need it.