Engine dyno'd today tri-y's choking it by 28hp

slidertag

Nov 4, 2005
Picked up my 347 stroker from the engine shop today made 478hp with dyno headers then installed the good ole tri-y set up. Ended up choking the motor by 28 hp! anyone running full length headers or equal shorty headers have any advice on which to try? clearance issues are also a factor since the '65 has pretty limited space.

Slider

• Sponsors (?)

Those are impressive numbers from a 347, what components did you use in the build - heads, intake, cam, carb etc...? I got a CHP 347 and am in the process of installing it now. I chose Hooker Comp full length headers. They are a great fit in my 68, but am not sure about a 65. You should be able to research their site to see if they have something that fits. Couple of variables are trans type and are you running power steering. Good luck.

If the Tri-Ys you are reffering to are the ones found on a real Shelby they you have to remember they were made for a 289 CI engine and are designed to make good all around torque. They are a great header for a mild street engine but if ringing every last HP out of a stroker or even an aggressive 302 they are not the header for you. I have Tri-Ys on the Shelby but Hooker Comps on the Fastback even though I had a brand new set of Tri-Ys before I bought the Hookers. I knew the Tri-Ys wouldn't be enough header for my aluminum headed fuel injected 302.

JBA shortys have an excellent reputation if you're looking for shorty headers, which may be good if you have ground clearance issues. Otherwise, consider Hooker Super Comps... they're always good performers, but often cause ground clearance problems, and can make accessing plugs a pain.

Good luck!

jcode68 said:
I chose Hooker Comp full length headers. They are a great fit in my 68, but am not sure about a 65.

Thats funny, when I had my '65 w/289 the Comps fit right in. With my current '68/302, the driver's side header(also Comps) hit the frame and my scattershield. A hammer fixed that, though.

Sounds like that 347 could use some 1 3/4" headers; Comps are just 1 5/8".

Funny, the Tri-Y's I've got on the 331 in my Ranger don't seem to throttle it at all.:shrug: Mid 13's in the 1/4 in a 3800 lb brick and a top speed of 140 is plenty of grunt for me. An increase of 28 hp on the top end wouldn't do anything for me.:D Might get me another 5 mph at best. :bang:

Ok, I'm going to post an official bit$%!

Why won't one of the manu. produce a larger diameter tri-y header for the early mustangs? There seems to be plenty of demand for them.

I've been running my dented long tubes for years but, refuse to destroy a new pair. Why waste the money?

If we approched someone like Doug's headers and promiced a certain number of orders, do you think they'd build some?

jcode68 said:
Hate it when that happens :Damnit:

Nice car, gues we are kinda half brothers or something:rlaugh:

That's my fault that orginal link was broken guys...although I do appreciate people getting use outta the chart...that's what I created it for. I have been making soooooo many changes I didn't think about all the preview links not working. Gotta be more mindful of that.

Jimmys66 said:
Ok, I'm going to post an official bit$%!

Why won't one of the manu. produce a larger diameter tri-y header for the early mustangs? There seems to be plenty of demand for them.

I've been running my dented long tubes for years but, refuse to destroy a new pair. Why waste the money?

If we approched someone like Doug's headers and promiced a certain number of orders, do you think they'd build some?
Uh, I think you'd better check out Doug's Headers again:D I was browsing the Stang mags today at Books A Million and saw that they DO produce a set of Tri-Y's like you're looking for. Or at least I'm pretty sure that's what they were. I didn't read in depth, but they looked like bigger tube try-y's than the Shelby types I'm running on my Ranger.

10secgoal said:
Teh, no headers are worth that money unless they are good in bed. Or one off, custom made.

Heh heh...we are on the same page on that one. They were accross the aisle from me at SEMA and when we had a lull, I went over and accosted the guy for a quick Q&A (not Jay Bittle, one of his guys). The first thing I asked him was why so much friggin money? The answer was quality build, fitment being perfect, and made in America.

Well, my Hedman elite coated shorties had 2 out of three, and while I like things that are built in the USA, paying more than double is not an option.

You guys might want to look into MAC headers. Mac makes a complete set-up for the early 64-66 cars. I used a set of 1 5/8" long tubes on a car I built 6 years ago. They fit like a glove and use the stock motor mounts. The car I built also had a T-5 transmission installed in it. They fit around the T-5 Bellhousing and the old style clutch linkage. I also used the whole complete MAC 2 1/2" Ex system. This too fit like a glove except for around the Windsor Fox Crossmember. I just had to modify the front pipes where they hooked up to the header collectors. The tailpipes also exited the rear valance just like the 65 G.T. Mustangs. It was a nice setup to install.