engine ping

amick5

Feb 4, 2006
Port Richey Fl.
my stang doesnt like 87 grade at all. getting out the timming light to see if I can advance from where it is to stop,any suggestions? or is this a waste of time .I dont know what the timming should be set at but am going to try.:shrug: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

You will want to pull out timing if your motor is pinging. Not advance it.

Try to set it at the factory 10 degrees with the spout out.

If you look really close to the engine and the distributor you will see a notch. Line these two notches up and it should get you close and give you a good head start.

Agreed with Kevin.
Do note where you are now before retarding the timing.

And I would run codes to see if something else is contributing to the issue.

This might help with ancillary info when you go to set timing.
Good luck.

Has it always pinged on 87? Do you know if you or a previous owner has messed with the timing? Was there a chip or something in there?

If your car pings at stock timing on 87, I'd just run 89 and leave the timing where it is versus backing it up more.

some times pinging is happening because of a carbon build up in the cylinders. a piece stay's hot and preignites the air fuel miture before the spark plug does. it maybe worth your while if the timing thing isn't the issue to consider that.

I see the points of people posting to run higher grade fuel, but if this is a new situation/issue (that was how I took it), I would want to find the cause.

HISSIN50 said:
I see the points of people posting to run higher grade fuel, but if this is a new situation/issue (that was how I took it), I would want to find the cause.
LOL,J/K!!
I had a "real" bad pinging problem,even when my timing was at 10 degree's. When I had my Thumpers put on I looked at the old ones. Each cylinder had this fuzzy,hair type material in it at the top of the cylinder in the combustion chamber!! That was my problem!!! After detenation this stuff was still burning so it caused pinging!! I run it now at 13-14 degree's with 93 octane and it is quiet as a mouse!!:nice: