Engine Engine Pulling Using Intake Manifold Bolt-on Plate?

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
I need to pull the engine back out of my BII/V8 project. Initially I used the traditional chains/straps & engine hoist but had difficulty due to the height of the vehicle. I'm looking for a way to gain more lift/height to make the job easier.

Has anyone used one lift plates that bolt onto the EFI intake manifold? If so, was it reliable and did it work well for you.

Thanks for any feedback.

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

I put the hoist as close to the intake as possible and ran a ratchet strap through the open spots under it and then lifted it that way.

2020-january-29-louise-12-jpg.jpg

I have always pulled the intake. Then run the chain from accessory bolt hole on the head to same on opposite rear. Chain basically sits flat across the lifter valley. When lifting, hook of hoist is about same height as top of valve cover (basically hooking chain below the intake). Never had an issue. This is how my brother did his big block Buick.

I've done it both ways... accessory bolts and using the lift plate, iirc I drilled a couple of extra holes
in the lift plate to insert a few more bolts.
I think the only time anyone ever uses the factory lift loops is the first time because they never go back on ... lol

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I've done it both ways... accessory bolts and using the lift plate, iirc I drilled a couple of extra holes
in the lift plate to insert a few more bolts.
I think the only time anyone ever uses the factory lift loops is the first time because they never go back on ... lolgrabbed
I've actually stored my loop and put it back on sometimes during engine pulls.

Thanks for all the feedback and pics. I'm pulling from a 4X4 and need to get the engine as high as possible. When I originally installed it, it took three of us as the engine would not clear the front of the engine compartment on its own. We had to lift by hoist and by hand. It was a real killer. I'm hoping to avoid the same thing this time around.

Thanks for all the feedback and pics. I'm pulling from a 4X4 and need to get the engine as high as possible. When I originally installed it, it took three of us as the engine would not clear the front of the engine compartment on its own. We had to lift by hoist and by hand. It was a real killer. I'm hoping to avoid the same thing this time around.
How about lowering the front end of the truck by taking off the front wheels and tires? Two old steel rims would protect the brakes. Two mini spares would also protect the floor.

To add to my last post. I use a engine pivot lift from Mac’s Tie Downs with one of their adapter plates for EFI. Go to their web site to see it. Expensive but imo well worth it. Been using one for over 20 years. Even on carburetor engines.