• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

Engine questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter 67MustangTiny
  • Start date Start date Dec 29, 2019

67MustangTiny

New Member
Aug 8, 2018
5
0
1
United Kingdom
Dec 29, 2019
#1
  • Dec 29, 2019
  • #1
So after looking at the engine in my 67 coupe. I think I’ve finally come to the conclusion it’s a 302/5.0L block from an 86 Mustang, the number on the block is GF296622.
It has the 289 intake manifold and cylinder heads fitted and I’m assuming the 289 camshaft as the firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7–8.
I want to know
1. What are the small threaded holes and non threaded holes in the top of the block used for as there was nothing in them when I removed the intake manifold (pics 1,2,3)
2. Why is there such a large hole at the front of the block by the distributor (pics 4 and 5)
3. What cam, intake and carburettor combo would be a good setup for this car?

I know these are awkward questions but I’ve got no experience with carburettor cars. I’ve done a fair bit of research and landed on the 600cfm Holley double pumper and 600cfm holly street warrior carb. Thanks for the help !
 

Attachments

  • 5A14A8A1-4CC6-4D1B-A702-D78C0CBEE6DD.webp
    257.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 798565EB-23AD-4B6D-93A6-1DACEF802902.webp
    301.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 0B199E1F-5825-447A-995F-6EF58E67E225.webp
    361.7 KB · Views: 198
  • BFD404F5-E3D1-4854-9F41-CC4733E576B7.webp
    335.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 890A4B59-9A76-4A25-80BD-B2E07C7FD3D0.webp
    360 KB · Views: 168

mattbaker302

Member
Apr 18, 2019
25
4
13
texas
Dec 29, 2019
#2
  • Dec 29, 2019
  • #2
it looks to me like those drilled holes were for a roller cam setup, as far as that hole in the block im not sure but it is supposed to be there. id say get the heads ported then throw a performer rpm intake and that carb and sh will have a little pep. if you want more power swap over to a roller cam and gt40 heads, the heads you can get at a pick n pull for 35$ each. they will bolt to the 302 block and will add 30hp ish.
 
R

rustaddict

Active Member
Aug 23, 2014
218
55
38
Jan 3, 2020
#3
  • Jan 3, 2020
  • #3
I would definitely go back to the roller cam.
 

2Blue2

will be trying this sex one when I can find it
Mod Dude
Mar 5, 2019
4,440
2,906
163
Oahu
Jan 4, 2020
#4
  • Jan 4, 2020
  • #4
#2
That hole is to relieve oil spray to keep distributor / timing chain from seeping.

A good carb choice is the 500cfm or 600cfm Edelbrock. can sit for months and still work fine
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
K
Resolved Weird sound coming from a freshly rebuilt 5.0L
  • karhoot
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
292
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 27, 2026
Mac131
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
252
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
1
Engine Motor swap from a 2003 Explorer
  • 1996mustang new
  • Oct 9, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
758
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 16, 2025
squeak93
B
water pump installation questions
  • B0udreaux
  • Feb 5, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
38
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 28, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?