Engine tick

tprattii

Feb 28, 2006
I have a '99 GT with a Vortech Supercharger, full exhaust, 3.73 gears, and 42 lbs injectors. It has an tick coming from the engine whenever the engine is cold and goes away once it is warmed up. I already replaced the lash adjusters with no luck. I also checked the timing chain to see if they had good tension to make sure they weren't slapping on anything. They seemed to be good. I am stuck on what to do next.:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't automatically assume it's the pistons slapping against the cylinders. It could be the lifters ticking. Hell, it could be an exhaust leak. Get a compression test done. See if the noise is coming from the valve cover. If it is, then it's the lifters. Piston slap will sound like a rock in a spray paint can. It won't sound like a clock ticking...

I had the exact same problem on my '83 capri. I started about 1000 miles after a rebuild, and I just assumed it was a lifter loosing pressure or whatever. I ignored it and it went away after a few thousand miles. Come to think of it, almost all of my problems with my stangs fix themselves....guess im lucky i'm a bit lazy.

I had the exact same problem on my '83 capri. I started about 1000 miles after a rebuild, and I just assumed it was a lifter loosing pressure or whatever. I ignored it and it went away after a few thousand miles. Come to think of it, almost all of my problems with my stangs fix themselves....guess im lucky i'm a bit lazy.

But i'm not too technicaly and I think the engine in my capri is alot different than yours, as far as valvtrain. The motor is out of a '88 MKVII lincoln.

Edit: Sry double post. Anyways nevermind ohv and ohc are too different too compare this problem