Engine Engine Trans Combo

Dobber

May 22, 2018
Iowa
Hi All, I was just wanting to start with the the big question before I buy this Engine and Trans. Its a 302 w/ C4 and is suppose to be out of a 1977 Car. Could I get some feedback if this combo is a good fit in my 1978 Coupe. Thanks in advance

Dobber

8.jpg
9.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

With the angle of those two pictures, I can't tell you with certainty what you have there except the following:

That is a C4 automatic trans, but does not appear to have the Mustang II bellhousing. You'd have to modify the transmission tunnel on the car or find the II's bellhousing and torque converter for that transmission to fit.

The engine is a small-block Ford, but at that angle I couldn't tell you if it's a 302 or 351. I also can't tell what oil pan is on it, and the accesories may or may not fit in a II's tight engine compartment. If it is a 302 (google how to tell a 302 and 351 apart), the engine itself will fit, but you may need a different oil pan and/or accessories. If it's a 351, it can be made to fit, but it's a lot of work.

Sorry, I must have been to vague on the post. I am car guy, been doing this for along time, just this is the first Mustang ii I have ever had. I went ahead and got the engine and trans. it is a rebuilt 1977 302 and C4 out of a Mercury Monarch. I do already have a small Bell housing in my car, but it looks like somebody has already clearanced the firewall about 2 inches or so. not sure how much more I will have to do using this trans. also I know that there were different splines for the drive shafts on different C4 trans. I may have to use the original that is in the car.

Anyway thanks for the help, I have to order a oil pan and sump before I can test fir it.

The few things you have to look out for when swapping V8 engines into a II compared to other Fords:

The flywheels/flex plates and the corresponding clutches/torque converters are smaller diameter requiring a smaller bell housing that was engineered for the II. Standard bells can work with modification.

II oil pans are specific to IIs. Other front sump pans are usually too deep and interfere with the rack and pinion causing issues when bolting the motor mounts. This is the main reason swapping a 351W is such a PITA.

Motor mounts, both frame side and engine side, are unique to the II. IIRC, the engine is offset in the engine compartment by about 2 inches. I could be wrong on the amount, but I know that they are offset. If memory serves, the passenger side frame mount is the same for all IIs, it's the driver side that's different. I could be wrong again, but I swapped one car from a 4 to a 302 and the passenger side seemed to be correct, but it's been a long time.

Exhaust manifolds are II specific for the confines of the engine compartment. I honestly don't know if any other manifolds will work or not. It's my understanding that they do not.

To go along with the smaller ring gear on the flywheel/flex plate, some people have reported that IIs require a specific starter. I have yet to run into a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky? ;)

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Any 302 can be made to work if you can work around these issues, so I don't think you made a bad purchase. And welcome to Stangnet from a former Iowan! :D

22512164332_c8532167f4_z.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Here are some more pics, can anybody tell me if these roller bearings have anything to do with a 302, I found 3 of them on the ground, when i was done. they dont look like anything familiar to me.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 231