engine/trans knock help ????

98gt4me

Apr 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I need some help with a knock. I have a stock 98 gt 5 speed. I had a squeaky TOB but that has since gone away. I have now developed a knock @ 3k rpm. It happens in every gear. It seems to get louder above 3k then fades out. Could this be related to TOB noise I had? I still get a squeak when I take my foot off the clutch. I have a 2 yr warranty with the car. Any ideas? Thx.

• Sponsors (?)

98gt4me said:
I need some help with a knock. I have a stock 98 gt 5 speed. I had a squeaky TOB but that has since gone away. I have now developed a knock @ 3k rpm. It happens in every gear. It seems to get louder above 3k then fades out. Could this be related to TOB noise I had? I still get a squeak when I take my foot off the clutch. I have a 2 yr warranty with the car. Any ideas? Thx.

If you find anything out, please do post. My 02 GT seems to have developed exactly the same thing: around 3000RPM, a knock - souding alot like a connecting rod - appears.

In my car's case, the noise is only present for the first few minutes of driving from cold. After that, I don't hear it anymore. This occurs under very light throttle (as I usually keep RPM & load low when it's cold). As an experiment, I tried to induce it at 2000RPM and a larger throttle angle but couldn't get the noise to appear.

I suspected the clutch release arm pivot or something like that but always came back to the sound being much like a rod. Thing is, it's only there cold and only at a certain RPM range. If I shortshift, I don't hear it. When the temperature gauge starts to move, the noise is pretty much gone. My car was recently on a dyno and though it made that noise for the first couple of minutes on the way there (then faded), the engine ran strong and noise free to near redline at the dyno.

I've taken mine into Ford to see if they can shed some light on the problem. I truly hope the reciprocating assembly is okay 'cause I really don't want to have to shell out for a new shortblock...

When I know more I'll reply back.

Okay, just picked my car up from the dealer. Here's their assessment:

They referred to SSM15934, the text of which reads as follows:

15934 MUSTANG- COLD ENGINE LIGHT TICKING/RATTLE

Some 2001-2002 Mustang GT and Bullitt with the TR3650 manual transmission may exhibit a light ticking/rattle noise while driving after a cold engine start. The noise will typically occur between 2200-3500RPM under light throttle (1/8 to 1/4 open) while driving. The noise may last a few minutes (depending on temperature). The condition is due to the combination of the light load operation noted above, and the normal piston to cylinder bore clearance present in a cold engine. To service, verify condition and reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration via the just-in-time process if your WDS communicates with Fordstar. Also obtain calibrations on the Ford professional technician society (PTS) website - select 'WDS' and then 'PCM REPROGRAMMING' and click 'Instructions' for downloading.

This pretty much describes my car to a 'T' except I would have referred to it as a "COLD ENGINE DEATH KNOCK" rather than a "light ticking/rattle" lol. So basically they're saying it's a piston slap.

The only thing I've noticed now is that the engine idle is hanging up a bit before settling down but that might just be a re-learn issue. I'll just short shift the thing at 2000 until it warms before beating on it I guess. If it does die later, at least I've got a record of reporting it early.

Also, FWIW, no mention whatsoever was made by the dealer of my FIPK or pulleys in regards to warranties... :banana:

trinity_gt said:
Okay, just picked my car up from the dealer. Here's their assessment:

They referred to SSM15934, the text of which reads as follows:

15934 MUSTANG- COLD ENGINE LIGHT TICKING/RATTLE

Some 2001-2002 Mustang GT and Bullitt with the TR3650 manual transmission may exhibit a light ticking/rattle noise while driving after a cold engine start. The noise will typically occur between 2200-3500RPM under light throttle (1/8 to 1/4 open) while driving. The noise may last a few minutes (depending on temperature). The condition is due to the combination of the light load operation noted above, and the normal piston to cylinder bore clearance present in a cold engine. To service, verify condition and reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration via the just-in-time process if your WDS communicates with Fordstar. Also obtain calibrations on the Ford professional technician society (PTS) website - select 'WDS' and then 'PCM REPROGRAMMING' and click 'Instructions' for downloading.

This pretty much describes my car to a 'T' except I would have referred to it as a "COLD ENGINE DEATH KNOCK" rather than a "light ticking/rattle" lol. So basically they're saying it's a piston slap.

The only thing I've noticed now is that the engine idle is hanging up a bit before settling down but that might just be a re-learn issue. I'll just short shift the thing at 2000 until it warms before beating on it I guess. If it does die later, at least I've got a record of reporting it early.

Also, FWIW, no mention whatsoever was made by the dealer of my FIPK or pulleys in regards to warranties... :banana:
Good Info........