Engineers

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, so I am about to graduate with my BS in ME from LSU. I will then commission in the Air Force and go to work for them for the next decade or so. After that I will most likely leave the AF at some point and get a job in the civilian world. So here is the question:

What is a day for an ME realy like in the real world, salary? hours worked per week? weekends? friequent buisiness trips? Any info would be insightful im sure.

Thanks!

EDIT: btw, isnt it odd that so many of us are engineers or engineering students???

I have a BS in ME. I work as an estimator and project manager for a large contracting company. I'm in the office/field/road as much as I want to be, I draw the line at 40 hr/wk though. An ME is one of the most versatile degrees, you can do just about anything with it, so there isn't really a straight answer for what to expect. As pay increases, so will the stress of your job. Find something you like to do, make sure its a good company, then let your performance dictate your pay.

It depends on what sector you work in. I am just a junior engineer, so I get worked like an intern. :chair: I hope I get to work less, and delegate more to people like me when I get higher up on he food chain. If I was an hourly employee, I'd be a millionaire....but the one big advantage as an engineer is if you are good, you write your own ticket. Like me. If I wasn't around, there would be no one to blame for wasting $20 million on soldering irons! Just think, if I was an ME I could design boxes for shoes, and draw pretty pictures all day.:(
I still could go be a lawyer. I hear Saleen 311 needs a new one.

Ok, so I am about to graduate with my BS in ME from LSU. I will then commission in the Air Force and go to work for them for the next decade or so. After that I will most likely leave the AF at some point and get a job in the civilian world. So here is the question:

What is a day for an ME realy like in the real world, salary? hours worked per week? weekends? friequent buisiness trips? Any info would be insightful im sure.

Thanks!

EDIT: btw, isnt it odd that so many of us are engineers or engineering students???

Do you know your AFSC yet? If so, I have a lot of contacts here at the Academy if you want to get in touch with an engineer in the AF. Most of my teachers have done engineering tours, and could tell you a lot about it. From what they've told me, engineering for the AF is much different than in the civilian world. I think I can answer the salary question.....Lieutenant pay, then captain pay, etc...lol If you want, I have charts that'll shows all AF pay.

Do you know your AFSC yet? If so, I have a lot of contacts here at the Academy if you want to get in touch with an engineer in the AF. Most of my teachers have done engineering tours, and could tell you a lot about it. From what they've told me, engineering for the AF is much different than in the civilian world. I think I can answer the salary question.....Lieutenant pay, then captain pay, etc...lol If you want, I have charts that'll shows all AF pay.

Yea, I know about all of that. Thanks anyway. I was more interested in the details of the civilian engineer.
My afsc is developmental engineering, 62e