Enginefactory 351-400 HP cautionary notes

Overall the 351W-400HP engine that I purchased has performed very well. For those considering purchasing an engine from the enginefactory I'm providing my experience with minor problems that have occurred in hope of helping you avoid the problems. First, the Carter electric fuel pump was woefully under powered. Replacing it with a Mallory comp 110 solved acceleration problems.
After 3 years of great performance, the engine would not start. After confirming that fuel was not the problem, I focused on the ignition system and found that the coil had a primary resistance of 1.4 ohms. The Accel 71204e distributor installation document specified that the warranty was voided if a coil with a primary resistance of over 1.0 ohms was used. Someone installed a points coil instead of the correct electronic ignition coil. Replacing the coil, electronic control module and magnetic pickup fixed the no-starting problem. One other thing to check - the engine was shipped with a parts list specifying an edelbrock thunder series carb, it arrived with a edelbrock perfomer series (cheaper) carb.

Hope you find this useful.
Kent

• Sponsors (?)

I have the 350 hp 302 from them and it is very nice. I had an issue with the fuel pump putting out too much pressure, but thats it. I switched from the Summit pump to an Edelbrock pump and that solved the issue. The coil I got was the proper one for my Pertronix ignition. I have had it for about 2 and a half years and it has 5k miles on it.