Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

• Sponsors (?)

So... we found no smoking gun.
Rings looked great, the oil rings did seem low tension. Heavy cylinder wall glazing and clear indication of oil trapped between the rings.
I think the hone was incorrect on last rebuild for the ring package used (stone choice) or break in was insufficient (idled to long before loading the rings).

• Surprised
Reactions: 3 users
So, technicaly, you could deglaze the cylinders and put new rings on it.
This is exactly what we did.
Deglazed with a 240 grit Flex-hone, installed total seal csh2010 AP ring package. These have a chrome faced steel top ring and an iron Napier second ring. We gapped the rings at 23 for mild boost. I wanted an iron top ring but removed the wrong set from the cart when I ordered them.
I have the engine back in the car after a long day and will get some pictures of it as I put it back together.
I did not get pictures of the rebuild process, or I thought I did using the quick key... apparently the shutter sound does not mean it actually took a picture.

I always had an oil pan leak and we figured it out this time. On the pan it has a ridge that holds pressure on the center of the gasket on the main cap. The Wieland oil pan I have has the holes drilled offset by about a 1/4 enough that the rear gasket pops outward and does not seal in the groove. I opened the holes up and was able to get it to line up properly.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
On an unrelated note I tuned this today.
20230104_131402.jpg
20230104_131407.jpg

Has a neat wrap on it.

I was doing a complete re do on the tune.
Was a bit of a basket case and it was easier to gut everything and start over.
Trickflow heads and intake, unknown Anderson cam (lumpy) and a 76/78 turbo.
Ran out of fuel at 12psi, I would estimate it makes 525ish wheel.

Reactions: 6 users
20230105_171004.jpg

So went from long block to intake on and harness sorted out in about an hour, then headers. Oil ect.

20230105_193246.jpg

Go ahead and add another few hours, got the AC and PS back on the car. Then spark plugs, wires and finally valve covers and coil harness. The valve covers have to go on last or i cannot reach the back plugs at all.
I got far enough along today that this should fire off tomorrow.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
20230107_154611.jpg

Enola did well today. Topped off the fluids, turned the key and she fired right up. Checked for leaks and took off shortly after startup. Did one lap around the block (around 2 miles) with decent load on the engine and one hard pull in second. Brought it back to check for leaks and then did a 20min drive around the lake to make sure the rings seated. Nothing out of the breathers, and she pulls crazy hard.

Nmi am going to drive it some tomorrow and then pull a plug.

Reactions: 8 users
Well the checkup went well, I have one line seeping and I can't get to it without putting the car on stands... so I drove it anyway. Wife and I put 65 miles on the car going our for date night.
Car did well, I think I hear a lifter tick but when I open the hood I hear nothing. May just he the way things sound at 2000 rpm and I have a case of the "what the :leghump: is that noise?! "

Side note, I put a new alternator on from KMJ and had to move my regulator from the previous alternator. It does charge but pretty low voltage, around 13v the old one showed 13.6+
I am wondering if I should replace the regulator or if there is something else I should check.

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping the new regulator gets here soon....
I have plans to take the car on a 120 mile round trip event to a cars and coffee down in Sarasota FL. One of the biggest cars and coffee in the area, should be over 300 cars in attendance.

Reactions: 4 users
Hoping the new regulator gets here soon....
I have plans to take the car on a 120 mile round trip event to a cars and coffee down in Sarasota FL. One of the biggest cars and coffee in the area, should be over 300 cars in attendance.
Give yourself some extra time when you go.. The traffic is borderline gridlock anymore