ET Breakdown

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
Ok, so I went to the track for my second time. 1/8th mile track, very, very run down, no track prep. There were chunks of rubber and debris all over the first part of the track. Probably won't go back there.

Anyways, my first time to the track I ran Mickey Thompson 10.5" slicks, launching at 3000 rpms (Z spec T5 and stock rearend), which resulted in BAD bogging. That day my best time was as follows:

60ft: 2.112 ET: 8.812 MPH: 82.41

Went back this weekend, same track, on street tires. Since last time out I have done a complete engine rebuild. I think I probably picked up about 30-40 HP with the changes I made. On street tires I got 3 runs in before a stretched clutch cable ended my day. Here is my best time from this weekend:

60ft: 2.288 ET: 9.045 MPH 85.87

I know this is an apples to oranges comparison, but I believe that there is definetly more power there. I was .2 slower, but 3.5 mph faster. I'm scared to launch on slicks at high RPM until I get a better tranny and rearend. I think the car should run mid to low 8's...hoping I can break into the 12's in the 1/4.

What do you guys think? I would like to see ETs and MPH from other's who have run close to this. I think that the MPH tell a different story from the ET.

I have lower control arms, torque boxes are beefed up, subframes, tubular K-member and coil overs up front (heavy springs-250lbs, not drag race oriented), C-springs in rear, 3.73 gear (2.95 1st gear-that hurts I know). I know the 60 ft can be improved greatly...just more curious to see what others with my MPH are running.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Well it's hard to say if it's a good MPH or not, we or at least I dont really know whats done to your motor, but 85 mph in the 1/8th mile seems pretty stout to me. I for one dont really pay to much attention to my ET's, A. Im not a professional driver, B. It's a street car. Most guys are gonna tell you your 60 foot sucks, and it does, but so does mine bud! I'll see guys with half the horsepower I have on street tires get better 60fts than I do with ET streets, so Ive given up. Im running 7.50s in the 1/8th 94 mph, so im guessing you have about 400 to the wheels? I dunno, just a guess?

Lol, no. I just spun them over real good to clean them off. Doorseal said 32 psi, I ran them at 30 psi. Just really curious to see my MPH compared to someone else's ET with the same MPH.

the increase in mph is a good indication of the hp improvement, but yeah, you need to be 60'-ing half a second faster than that! With a quality suspension setup like our UPR Pro Series or our Pro Street suspension, you should be able to run at least a 1.70 60' time on drag radials.

You can feed the car some RPMs on the launch on slicks or drag radials, but you need to slip the clutch. I went a 1.69 60' on the stock 302 (236rwhp), stock T5, 3.73 gear, UPR Pro Series suspension, and 275/50 BFG DRs. Launch was at 5200rpms.

More specifically, I ran:

1.69 - 60'
5.22 - 330'
8.1781 @ 83.01

That indicates that we were probably making the same amount of power before your engine rebuild. With your newfound power, you should be in the 8.00s-7.90s with a good launch. :flag:

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I would like to be able to cut at least 1.8X 60 fts, that would be a big increase in time in its self. But the times you posted are what I was looking for...thanks again. I need to get a set of upper control arms, I already have the lowers. Maybe drag radials are the way to go. It will be a while before I can do trans and rearend, but I could probably muster out a couple of higher RPM take offs and see what happens. If I break something, I guess that will be more motivation to upgrade. :)

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I would like to be able to cut at least 1.8X 60 fts, that would be a big increase in time in its self. But the times you posted are what I was looking for...thanks again. I need to get a set of upper control arms, I already have the lowers. Maybe drag radials are the way to go. It will be a while before I can do trans and rearend, but I could probably muster out a couple of higher RPM take offs and see what happens. If I break something, I guess that will be more motivation to upgrade. :)

No prob. Just hoped it would be useful since our cars were pretty close in ET. (those times are from my '89 LX about three years ago)

Here are the uppers I used: 1979-2004 Ford Mustang Pro Series Double Adjustable Upper Control Arms - UPR Products and the sphericals: 79-04 Mustang Billet 8.8" Spherical Bushings

Drag radials are nice, but with a five speed, you're better off with a bias ply tire like the M/T ET Street. I used the 275/50-15 BFG Drag Radials because it was still my daily driver at the time. :D

I don't have a lot of slick experience, but it seems to me that i see a lot of guys with stock parts trying to go easy on their car to not break anything, and all they get is bogging and they run slower than the street tire/drag radial crowd does. Seems like if you can't mash the gas and overcome the bogging issue then you're wasting your time.