Ever warped a bolt's thread with a hammer? Help me

Andres2882

Jan 29, 2004
Ok, I was trying to bang my spindle off of the ball bearing, I know now that's stupid as it's mounted the other way but it was a trying moment. Anyway, it seems I managed to warp the top of the bolt to now the nut doesn't want to thread over the warpage. Just the top is warped so I'm thinking a little sanding/hand grinding and I can eliminate this extra lip? I tried to simply ratchet over it but of course the damn bearing just spun and I didnt want to really clamp down on it and potentially damange even more threads on the damn bolt. Anyway, your input is welcome.

BTW, if you're trying to get the spindle off of the bearing, just hammer the metal of the spindle in a perpendicular motion to the bolt, pops off like a charm. The old man at the junk yard told me that when I went to get a spindle :)

• Sponsors (?)

I think you'd be better off replacing it with a new BJ. Ford advises the BJ is a non servicable part because once they are pressed in from the factory it spreads the opening in the a-arm. If you try to reuse the stock BJ it may not fit like it should. Being an integral part of your suspension I wouldn't risk it.

Nowadays when you buy a new BJ it will be slightly over sized to accomodate for spread on the a-arm from the stock joint. I got some TRWs from Advance for about $30. If you have to replace it again you'd be better off buying new a-arms.

Another route you can go is to buy FRPP a-arms but they are back ordered until September. They come with new joints and bushings for about $190 a pair.

Andres2882 said:
I thought that pickle forks ruined the seals on the ball joints?
They do. I only use one if I am not reusing the joint. I use Pitman arm pullers and other odds and ends to pop them.

check snap-on mac tools tap-die kits. Then go to sears. The specific kit I'm refering to has either 18 or 24 taps and close to the same amount of dies. Anyway's they are all 3 the EXACT same. Same die's, same material, same company. IDENTICAL. the one from sears is either 50 or 60 bucks the trucks get a minimum of $130 for them.

Edit- Also since this item is considered to wear over time it's not guaranteed by any company. However, trucks are smart enough not to warranty them out. Sometimes if you go into sears when there isn't a manager around. (late on weekends) the salesman will exchange them, just because they work on commission or don't know better.

I did this today on my 94 sentra axle... Sort of expensive to replace.. 200 ish.
So I took it out, put it in a bench vise, got out my makita 4 1/2 in angle grinder and grinded down 3 full threads (This took almost an hour, the axle is probabally 5 times the guage of your issue),
Then keep trying and grinding and flattening until the bolt can thread itself on,
You may not be able to use this method with the balljoint due to the size of it??
Oh yah and sinc were balljoints called ball bearings??
I have GMN bearings on my longboard ;- )

Hey, nice catch. That's what I pretty much concluded I'd try. First I'm probably going to try and use a file to try and wear down the lip, it's pretty small and that might do the trick. Otherwise I'll try the old slice and dice!