Exhaust drone with Mac Mufflers

• Sponsors (?)

Resonators should help, but I'm surprised to hear this considering you have the Stock H-Pipe installed. If you decide to go with resonators, do a search on this Forum and you'll find a lot of responses on how to make the necessary changes. Or you could just ask for more help and one of us can assist.

I assume you have the chambered MAC mufflers. I've got the MAC boomtubes and the drone isn't bad. Then again, the rest of my car is stock and you've got a mammoth blower. I assume FI cars like yours always flow more air so modulating throttle to rid drone is probabaly pretty tough. There is a thread on here "Interesting info on boomtubes" where the OP found the best spot to add some sound deadner and the drone was gone.

Not sure but I would think if you got an X-pipe it would mellow things out a little and kill some of that drone. Then again Mac does make the prochamber which is designed to work with the rest of their exhaust stuff so you may want to go there.

Something I've been curious about and maybe someone here can anwser this. I'm looking at changing my exhaust since I'm tired of what I have, are the boom tubes louder than the magnapacks? These are the 2 that I'm down to and hopefully someone can help me out here. Both being axlebacks with my stock manifolds and midpipe.

Based on the design of both (straight through), I would say they are both pretty close. Boomtubes are much cheaper than magnapacks and built well. They sound great during the day, and even better at night. I try to describe the sound as a huge multiplication of the engine noise versus a manufactured sound. Sounds like a big block boat motor.

Just installed Mac Mufflers.
They sound nice, but drone too much.

Anyway to fix the exhaust drone around 2000 rpm?

I have the stock H-pipe, and a Whipple supercharger. Don't know if that matters.

Thanks

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your new axle backs.

After learning from all you guys that installed axle back mufflers that drone, I decided to go with MBRPs. I have no drone and great performance. :nice:
They sound as good as most of the other axle backs and the fit and finish is great. They also have a life time warranty.

Try This:

Take out both front seats

peel up the carpet so you can access the steel of the floor

place copious amounts of dynamat, or similar product on the steel floor, concentrating on the front footwells

I did this and feel like it worked quite well, so I would be curious to see if anyone else find success with it.

Drone is caused by the sound of the exhaust finding a resonant frequency of the cab. You can solve it by muffling that resonant frequency coming out of the tailpipe (resonators, corsas, extending the pipes), or, you can change the resonant frequency of the cab by adding damping to the steel. The bonus of adding damping to the steel is that you'll also decrease road and transmission noise, your stereo will sound better, and you can listen to your engine at 2k rpms. (systems that muffle the resonant freq. are going to be quiet at 2k rpms.)

Drone is caused by the sound of the exhaust finding a resonant frequency of the cab.

I just put a new exhaust on my 01' Grand cherokee V8 - I took off the main cat (have 2 in the y-pipe), upped the pipe from a 2.5 to a 3" and a mid-sized Magnaflow muffler. Sounds amazing from the outside, but also drones @ 2200 really bad. It was a hot day out recently, so I opened the back glass up, and BAM no drone. I will be putting in a magnapck or an M-80 in there to try and quiet things down a bit. Drone sux, I must be getting older now (35)

Just installed Mac Mufflers.
They sound nice, but drone too much.

Anyway to fix the exhaust drone around 2000 rpm?

I have the stock H-pipe, and a Whipple supercharger. Don't know if that matters.

Thanks

I had the macs on stock h pipe and i had drone as well. The only way you can get rid of it is by either adding resonators, installing tons of dynamat, or getting 4.10 gears. I will say that the macs sound bad ass.......you never know how awesome mufflers really sound in the car. I sold them to a co-worker and everytime he drives by me i wonder why i ever sold them.