Exhaust Fitment Question

Max1416

Jan 1, 2016
Hello all I have stock headers, bbk o/r h pipe, and 2.5 pypes catback system on my car currently. I like the aggressive sound it idles at and makes up to 3k although she. I stomp on it it gets a little unrefined and was thinking of buying a different set of mufflers to try getting a new sound. If my catback from pypes is 2.5 couldn't I just buy something like this 2.5" Offset in/Offset out Stainless Steel Muffler and swap these or something similar out with my pypes mufflers currently on my car?

• Sponsors (?)

You can just swap out different mufflers just pay attention to length of the mufflers so there is not too many modifications required and pay attention to the correct inlet/outlet you need. When I only wanted my mufflers swapped out I'd just take it to a muffler shop and they were OK with removing the old mufflers and sliding on the new ones and letting you hear how your car will sound before you buy them.

You can just swap out different mufflers just pay attention to length of the mufflers so there is not too many modifications required and pay attention to the correct inlet/outlet you need. When I only wanted my mufflers swapped out I'd just take it to a muffler shop and they were OK with removing the old mufflers and sliding on the new ones and letting you hear how your car will sound before you buy them.
Huh didn't think of going to an exhaust shop wouldn't they not touch the car cause of the lack of cats? And when it says like 14inch shell length that is the measurement without the inlet and outlet pipes correct?

Is your car not smog exempt? Since they wouldn't be doing anything with cats it shouldn't be a problem for them.
Huh guess I will try calling them thanks, and no I just kept the stock h pipe for 2 years down the road when I will have to smog again. Also would changing from stock headers to aftermarket change the exhaust note at all or is looking into different mufflers a better way to go?

Ya I like the deeper h once I get above 3k though it gets really weird half NASCAR half "weedwhacker" or valvey if that makes any sense haha hard to describe.

I don't know man I run aftermarket unequal shorties, pypes x, 44 series flowmasters, all 2.5". Car sounds bad ass at idle and screams above 2500. I removed the long tubes to quite the car down, she was drawing too much attention in town.

I don't know man I run aftermarket unequal shorties, pypes x, 44 series flowmasters, all 2.5". Car sounds bad ass at idle and screams above 2500. I removed the long tubes to quite the car down, she was drawing too much attention in town.
Cool I think I will order some super 44 and try some of those jf the local shops won't help me, the 44's are chambered the only reason I can think I hear the higher pitch and distortion at high rpms is because its catless with a non chambered straight thru muffler, maybe the sound although is just unique to that pypes muffler. Either way thanks for the input

I think 90% of how bad ass an exhaust tone comes from the H/X pipe and muffler combo. I like the traditional deep rumble sound that an o/r H pipe with flowmasters give. I recently went from JBA unequal shorties, o/r bassani x pipe, with flowmasters that was really loud, sounded good but a little too raspy of a sound to my current setup of BBK longtubes, bbk o/r H pipe, with flowmaster and now it has that great deep classic rumble that a 5.0 deserves and I notice more power from the mid range and higher.

This video has a decent comparison in the different sounds between x/h pipes

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ww2sHY8HB4

I'm an h pipe fanboy. Along with flowmasters lol. I just like the classic sound. I'm curious to hear what it's going to sound like with long tubes. I've always had shorties on my previous cars.

Reactions: 1 user