Exhaust Help from the community please!

Hey everybody i am new to this forum just saying hello, also i have a 2004 gt that needs exhaust. The options i have come up with are either a Xpipe or Hipe, this also brings me to CATs or no CATs. I really like Mac pro chamber Hpipe, also what are a good choice for mufflers.

Thanks Justin:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome!

If you live somewhere that doesn't require emissions testing, get the O/R pipe. Living in FL, I have never ran a mid-pipe with cats.

I have a 2004 GT also, and I love the sound of the standard Magnaflow mufflers (NOT Magnapacks).

My car came with a Magnaflow Catted X and Magnaflow catback. It had a really good deep tone to it but I soon swapped to a Magnaflow O/R X.

Here is a video of the stock exhaust manifolds, Magnaflow Offroad X and Magnaflow catback.
YouTube - ‪2004 Mustang GT Magnaflow Exhaust‬‏

Here is the car now with BBK Longtube headers, BBK shorty offroad H-pipe, and the same Magnaflow catback
YouTube - ‪2004 Mustang GT Dyno Tuning‬‏
YouTube - ‪2004 Mustang GT Burnout‬‏

Personally, I like the sound of the H better. Little less rasp and has more a muscle car low rumble to it.

Right now I have BBK tuned length shorties, the BBK high-flow catted x-pipe and the Magnaflow Magna Packs on my 2004 GT and it sounds great. I am looking at going to the Magnaflow O/R pipe hoping for a deeper sound. Will they not pass you on emissions because of not having cats? I have seen some people lose their cats, get a tuner and pass emissions. Guess it depends on your state.

How do you bypass the o2 sensors with an o/r h or x pipe? Wouldn't that cause the computer to dump fuel?

Those are your upstream O2 sensors. You bypass the downstream sensors with an O/R pipe which essentially just measure the catalytic converters' efficiency. Since the cats don't exist, these sensors will throw a code saying the cats are below threshold. Simple fix is to just have a tuner shut them off, or you can get MIL eliminators to stop it from triggering a Check Engine Light.

Jpb - Sorry, don't know anything about high flow cats. Probably going to be your only option though unless you want to swap midpipes during emissions time, or find some kind of work-around depending on your state's testing methods. You will notice a difference in sound. In all honesty, I think I liked the tone better when I had my catted Magnaflow X as opposed to the Offroad X. Offroad was louder and still sounded really good, but the catted X had a deeper grumble to it and wasn't as raspy. With a bolt-on 2v, difference in power will probably be minimal.

That's weird. My buddy's 2001 with Flowmasters only was much louder than that.

No offense but I had Flowmasters on my '95 and I haven't liked them since. I got sick of the hollow tin sound they made.

Maybe the camera just didn't capture the sound well. When I got the car it had Flowmasters only and was decently loud. With the O/R x-pipe it is significantly louder. A short trip down the interstate makes that painfully obvious...

I'm an obvious fan of MAC products. I had an MAC O/R H-pipe with an MAC Flowpath catback (with stock manifolds) and it sounded a lot like this:
YouTube - ‪2002 Mustang GT MAC exhaust‬‏

Here's a similar setup but with the MAC Prochamber (lowpath catback & stock manifolds)
YouTube - ‪2004 Mustang GT - MAC ProChamber + MAC Catback‬‏

Here's the Prochamber with a Flowmaster catback:
YouTube - ‪MAC Prochamber Flowmaster 40 series‬‏

First one sounds good. Not a fan of the tin can sound in the second vid. Surprisingly the 3rd isn't bad, being that I don't like Flowmasters.

Personally I am a Flowmaster guy. But the old school 2 chambers, not the Delta Flow or Hush Power. They make the American Thunder that sounds good in the 2 chamber also. (Wife has them on Her 11' 5.0) But I really do love the sound of Stainless Works. They are high$$$$$ though. Here is a clip of the Stainless Works. ‪2011 Mustang 5.0 Stainless Works Catback vs. Stock‬‏ - YouTube My Cobra currently has Magna Flows and I think they sound like crap at an idle but I have to admit they sound good when you get into it.

Anyway: Long Tubes / H-pipe (High Flow Cats) / 2 chamber Flowmasters

I really appreciate the sound of an h-pipe and prochamber, but when i got my setup i fell into an o/r bassani x pipe. all I have is weld in flowmaster 40s, but I think it sounds like sex! nice and grumbly around town but tyou get on it, you sounds like a nascar. I like to scare people on the side of the road with it! : )

I think that the magnaflow exhaust sounds pretty good, but I had a girlfriend who's mom had a bassani o/r x and cat back and I have got to say, hands down the best sound I've ever heard out of a mustang, and I've heard ALOT of mustangs.