Exhaust setup suggestions.

Hey all. I have a 1989 LX 5.0 that's pretty stock except for exhaust gears and a short throw shifter. I'd like it to get some different mufflers and also look into headers. the previous owner had done a cat delete then added flowmaster super 44's and 2.5in stainless steel pipes from the down pipe back with polished tips. I looked around some stores and considered SLP loudmouth, or super 10's. For headers either BBK or Pypes. Also not 100% sure what difference it would make between shorty headers (equal and unequal length) or longs tubes. Any suggestions, or information in general would be much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I’m not sure on how old you are but take it from me even at 28 years old I’d never use either of the mufflers you mentioned . I have 1 7/8 long tubes now , 3 inch pipe I built , and dynomax ultra flows with 3 inch tail pipes to try to have the quietest exhaust I can for the power I wanted to make . 7-800 plus at the tire .

A young age you’ll love super 10s or those loud mouths then eventually say these are the most annoying things ever . Headers on a near stock car bbks are great . For the 2hp difference vs the headers hitting the ground id run the shortys . On a near stock car you aren’t looking for max effort horsepower and it’s worth not having to worry about the headers scraping .

My old setup before i built the big motor motor was bbk short headers , bbk catless x pipe , flowmaster 44s and 2.5 tail pipes . Car sounded awesome and wasn’t Annoying .
Just my opinion

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
BBK headers are generally the accepted quality header for the price. I also have Dynomax Ultraflows. More power, less drone, less annoying noise. SLP Loundmouths make you sound like you ate too many lead paint chips as a kid.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
A car with a stock cam and cats is the only time I think flowmasters are the way to go. BBK shorties, Catted H-pipe, Flowmaster 40s. Best sounding setup on a car with a stock cam IMO. It does drone at highway speeds, however. If it was my ride, keep the 44s and get a catted h-pipe from BBK along with some shorty headers. If you are going to stay with the off road pipe then I would stay away from any chambered muffler. I'm currently running BBK shorties, Off road H, Dynomax super turbos. It's a good setup, but I still want it to be quieter. I really want to get a catted mid pipe back in there.

Last edited:
I have a mild build with a Trickflow top end and supporting mods, I did BBK unequal shorties for the ease of installing over HP of long tube, I have a BBK catless X pipe with a American thunder Flowmaster catback with polished tips from way back in the day so I'm gonna guess they are super 44's but not sure, The header fits perfect and I really do like the sound of the X pipe, now not everyone enjoys the fuel smell of a catless mid but mine is not a daily driver.

I think people make too much out of the X vs H sound debate.
I've had both, back to back on the same car with the same engine and catback.
I really couldn't tell the difference.
Even if for some reason you can, in no time you will adjust to hearing it.

I really do favor exhaust parts that go on and off easy and don't rust.
Definitely nothing with those cheap ass U clamps.

As a disclaimer: I run a non stainless ultraflo welded muffler catback. I would however prefer a stainless bassani system, but the dynomax kit works as a bolt on with an MM panhard bar.

I think people make too much out of the X vs H sound debate.
I've had both, back to back on the same car with the same engine and catback.
I really couldn't tell the difference.

That is a very accurate statement. There also have been plenty of dyno tests proving that there is almost no performance difference between the two. I really like my ProChamber to the point where I did a whole bunch of work to make it fit with Fox headers. I know damn well it makes no difference.

For what it is worth, my DynoMax UltraFlows are now 20 years old, and still look like new. The Super Turbos might sound ok, but they are big performance killers.

Kurt

Man we really need some kind of thread with exhaust combos, along with some videos or something. These threads litter this forum.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user