exhaust with stock H pipe: glasspacks?

Indyjones

Aug 26, 2003
Ok. First off, I keep reading that glasspacks sound stupid on Stangs. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I am new to Mustangs...so please don't rip me apart like a deer attacked by a pack of wolves. Have some patience :) Why do they sound so bad? I havn't heard any in real life. Anyone (who will openly admit it) have any sound clips of their Stang with glasspacks? It just seems like a cheap alternative at the moment. I've read comments that a Mustang will sound like a Camaro. I've heard some nice sounding Camaros (what's so wrong with Camaros? Live and let live, right ;).

Who here actually has glasspacks on their ride?
Sorry if I'm treading in tabu territory, but I would like some answers to this confusing topic!

(On some forums, a user only mentioning a glasspack/cherry bomb will instantly be labeled as incompetent and dumb...WHY?????)

Thanks......Indy :) :) :) :)

• Sponsors (?)

They just don't sound good. They baffle and spit and sputter on decel. Honestly an o/r midpipe with a set of mil's or a high flow midpipe will get you a descent improvement in poer and will have more of a rumble. Go buy some dynomax mufflers and weld them in. They sound descent

Well honestly.....glasspacks aren't that much different then SLP's, Magnaflows Magnapacks or Borla Stingers. They are basically a straight through muffler which is what all these are. If you plan to have glasspacks with a stock H, it wont sound bad.....but when you change the mid pipe you may not like it anymore.

If I remember right the reason why camaro's and F-Bodies don't sound like a Mustang is basically because they don't run a "True" dual exhaust setup. Basically there duals meet at a Y-Pipe instead of an H or an X.

not a lot of people put true labeled "glasspacks" on their stangs like cherrybombs, but as 98V6 KITT stated, many people run big name-brand straight through mufflers/ resonators like the ones mentioned above. They look more like canisters and produce a very low tone at low rpms and a more high pitched roar in the higer rpms (3,000 +)

They do crackle and pop much more than a regular muffler as others have stated. I have magnapacks on my car and have had the following midpipes paired up to my magnapack catback: the stock H, a MAC offroad H, a catted SLP X, and an offroad X. All sound a little different but the Catless pipes produce a gunshot/crackling/snapping sound from 2800 to about 3500 rpms, then above that, the pops fade away into an all out roar.

All of the straight through mufflers make this extremely loud crackle around that rpm range. At first it was a little anoying, but it grew on me, and i've come to like it. It's all about personal preference and just how loud you want your car to be.

Stock H-pipe with flowmaster 40's

IMO i like the the stock h-pipe with some good all around mufflers like flowmaster 40's, spintech, or whatever muffler you like to try. I had a bassani catted x-pipe with stock manifolds and flowmaster 40's and it's not a good combination imo. Just give it a try!!

i just had a set of cheap glasspacks installed on mine yesterday. i had pypes on it and they started ratting inside so i cut them off and ran straights and i hated the exhaust leaking sound that made. the packs have a deep sound when cruising now and sound decent when i get on it. i forgot to bring my tails with me so they exit under the car. i am going to put the tails on it.

Just listen to the link in my sig. I have magnalfow magnapacks with a catted H pipe and it sounds awesome. I have had both cambered (Mac Flowpaths) and strait thurs (Magnapacks) and I like how the packs sound.

Just gotta remember, though, that's a 5.0L.

Here is my car with a Bassani O/R X pipe and Magnapacks (aka new-age glasspacks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYPgJJU7O4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6BWZV_UjKs

I got pulled over the other day for how loud it was, and I shifting at 2,000rpm. I am definitely throwing some cats on this X pipe and next time I get pulled over, I have something to show for it.