Engine Explorer Manifold...no Act Hole?

Purdytang9

Active User
Apr 12, 2017
Hello there...well I bought a 88 lx and it has an explorer intake manifold and sitting next to the injectors is a plug where the act sensor should go into the manifold...the car has been converted to mass air..is that sensor still needed for the a9l?..
Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it's still needed. People either drill and tap the hole for the sensor if there's still the area or pad for it, or relocate it to the air cleaner box by lengthening the wires.

Post a pic of the lower intake where the ACT is supposed to go to see if the intake can be drilled and tapped safely.

Early Explorer intake has reinforced boss on manifold for act, later did not. Mine was from a 99 and I drilled and tapped hole in upper intake in unused vacuum port, seems to work well.

mine was from a 97 and had the pad on the #5 runner. Drilled and tapped it for the sensor. As mentioned you can also lengthen the wiring and install it in the airbox as they did with SN95's, but I've also seen guys just let it lay on top of the lower intake under the upper plenum with no real issues. My first choice would be to install it in the stock location.

The ACT (Air Charge Temp) sensor will probably need to be moved. The GT 40 lower manifold isn't drilled & tapped for it to go into the intake like the stock manifold was. There is a boss cast into the GT 40, but a machine shop will have to drill & tap the new manifold. The best spot for the ACT is the air box if you don't do the drill and tap thing. You get to cut and splice the 2 ACT wires in order to make them long enough to reach the air box. Solder the wire extensions on the existing wires & use heat shrink tubing to cover the splices. Offset the place where you cut the wires so that you don't have a big bulge when you put heat shrink over the 2 wires to cover & protect them. The air box gets a hole (5/8" or so) for the ACT drilled about 1 1/4" down & 1/1/4" in on the front top side near the upper radiator hose. A brass fitting nut from Home Depot or Ace Hardware secures the ACT into the air box.

If you are very clever, you will find that the ACT connector comes apart so that you can remove the pins. A very small screwdriver releases the lock in the front of the center insert, while another small screwdriver inserted in the back pushes it out. Once the center insert is out of the connector shell, the pins come out easily. New pins are available from AutoZone in a $5 electrical pin kit for Fords. Crimping the pins on the extender wires saves you from having to splice them twice: once to put the connector on and once to extend the wires.

6 ft black 18 gauge wire
6 ft green 18 gauge wire
6 ft 1/4" heat shrink tubing
1 ft 3/16" heat shrink tubing

Measure the 2 extender wires & cut them to length, crimp one set of pins on them. Then mate up the extender pins with the wiring harness & slide the 3/16" heat shrink tubing over them & shrink the tubing. Then slide the 1/4" heat shrink tubing over the pair of wires and shrink the tubing. When you are done you'll have about 1" of wire left without heat shrink tubing on it to strip & crimp the new pins on. Stick the new pins in the old connector shell, assemble it and you are done. It looks as good as factory. Some wire loom can be used to enhance the "Factory Look".

Underhoodpictures002.jpg

Underhoodpictures003.jpg

thanks for the input..its raining today and I have off..so that's what's I'm going to do...i was worried about that sensor...boy am I glad y'all have a solution...thanks a million guys...