F-150 5.0 swap into a 2015 Ecoboost

Looking for advice for anyone who has done a coyote swap or something similar i know the engine will fit curious about the wiring harness and what to do about it if i should just buy a f-150 harness or a custom harness and if the current 6 speed auto would fit onto the 2018 5.0 since they moved to the 10 speed.Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Looking for advice for anyone who has done a coyote swap or something similar i know the engine will fit curious about the wiring harness and what to do about it if i should just buy a f-150 harness or a custom harness and if the current 6 speed auto would fit onto the 2018 5.0 since they moved to the 10 speed.Thanks!
Sorry forgot to say what i was swapping into which is a 2015 ecoboost auto

Haha yeah i know it sounds stupid for sure but wheres the fun in that plus i bought it for 2000 it has 20000 miles and i want to build the engine anyway
In that case, you can come out even further ahead selling it or trading it in on a coyote car.

With modern car electronics, powertrain swaps aren't straightforward "take all the parts from this one and throw them in that one" affairs anymore. You've got to deal with CAN-BUS, among other things these days.

If you were throwing a coyote into something older, it's no big deal, there's aftermarket powertrain controllers for that. A modern car that's got modules for everything (including one in each door, an HVAC module, and EPS module, and SRS module, a body control module, the radio itself, the transmission control module and more all communicating over a network together through a gateway and won't "talk" to a module that doesn't belong there. Even if you ran a standalone PCM to run the engine and transmission, you're still going to have to deal with the fact that the rest of the electronics on the car aren't going to function properly, if at all, without a functioning PCM giving them necesarry data (for instance, the SRS module needing input from the VSS in the event of a crash to know how hard to tighten your seatbelt pretensioners and how hard to pop the airbag into your face).

I work with these systems for a living.

Reactions: 1 user
In that case, you can come out even further ahead selling it or trading it in on a coyote car.

With modern car electronics, powertrain swaps aren't straightforward "take all the parts from this one and throw them in that one" affairs anymore. You've got to deal with CAN-BUS, among other things these days.

If you were throwing a coyote into something older, it's no big deal, there's aftermarket powertrain controllers for that. A modern car that's got modules for everything (including one in each door, an HVAC module, and EPS module, and SRS module, a body control module, the radio itself, the transmission control module and more all communicating over a network together through a gateway and won't "talk" to a module that doesn't belong there. Even if you ran a standalone PCM to run the engine and transmission, you're still going to have to deal with the fact that the rest of the electronics on the car aren't going to function properly, if at all, without a functioning PCM giving them necesarry data (for instance, the SRS module needing input from the VSS in the event of a crash to know how hard to tighten your seatbelt pretensioners and how hard to pop the airbag into your face).

I work with these systems for a living.
Thanks, was kinda just hoping that since my car is a 2015 and the engine is an 18 id just have to get a new harness and trans worst case but if i cant do it still have an awesome engine for something else and thank you for the information I appreciate it!

So to be clear, you bought a 2018 F150 engine and transmission for $2000? That seems like a helluva deal and you can probably double your money on it. Or put it in a fox or new edge car. I have an 18 F150 with the 5.0 and 10 speed and it surprises a lot of people, daily :D . People are making pretty impressive power out of those Ecoboost stangs, though, but no it won't sound like a V8.

74stang gave you fantastic advice and is trying to save you from severe disappointment

So to be clear, you bought a 2018 F150 engine and transmission for $2000? That seems like a helluva deal and you can probably double your money on it. Or put it in a fox or new edge car. I have an 18 F150 with the 5.0 and 10 speed and it surprises a lot of people, daily :D . People are making pretty impressive power out of those Ecoboost stangs, though, but no it won't sound like a V8.

74stang gave you fantastic advice and is trying to save you from severe disappointment
No it was just the full 2018 engine of a 150 for 2000 no trans but im definitely gonna do a n/a build on it to drop in something really want it to be in my ecoboost but like he said the wiring might no allow it not sure how it would turn out if i bought a 18 gt ecu and harness and redo everything the big problem is the trans bc its a 6 auto in my 15 not sure if it will work like he said so might look for a mt82 at some point
But yeah the eco is decent power like you said i have pretty much basic bolt ons sounds actually pretty nice better than most but its no v8 for sure