Factory sway bar sizes???

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
Is there info on what years and models used what size of anti sway bars, front and rear?

When I ordered new bushings for the front bar on my 91 LX, I had to measure the bar first because of all the different sizes there were listed. When I found the front bar was bent on my 87 Cougar, I got turbo super coupe bars that were much bigger for much less than any one performance bar. I am wondering about a similar salvage yard upgrade for my Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Sway by sizes courtesy of CJPP

I haven't checked in a long time, but a lot of the larger factory bars used to be available directly from Ford at reasonable prices. They may all be discontinued now like every other replacement part I try to find for my '95.

I kind of like the Steeda sway bars, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the money. They seem like they would be a good match for the FR C-springs I'm running. They get expensive by the time you total up the front and rear bars along with new bushings and and the solid front mounts (icing on the cake). That money could be spent elsewhere to make my car faster and then the sway bars would become a necessity. ;)

Last edited:
LMR also has a sway bar guide on their site...

It's hard to find OEM Fox front sway bars. MPS Auto Salvage has them every now and then.

Aftermarket front bars are usually larger. Installing a larger front bar will add understeer to a car that already has understeer... it will make the car handle worse at the limit. Depending on the front bar you have, you might want to keep it and install a larger rear bar.

Sway bars are a very personal choice. Other mods, and your driving style, both factor in to which bars you should choose.

Is your LX a 5.0 or 2.3? What size front bar do you have? Are you using the car for performance driving or street driving?

Thanks for the link! I am surprised the cobra front bars are smaller than the one I am supposed to have.
If I go aftermarket, I will check with Addco, or Addco through PST with polygraphite bushings.
EDIT: Addco recently thinned their catalog, and the only listing is an add on rear bar.

Their prices have been reasonable, the products are very good, and tech support is great.
I was hoping to get a JY score to offset some Steeda control arm cost. I am sure the Sterda bars are well made and premium priced without looking.
I have B springs that replaced the MM light blue lowering springs. The MM springs did not need much for anti sway bars, but my kidneys like a bit softer springs with bigger sway bars.

I haven't checked in a long time, but a lot of the larger factory bars used to be available directly from Ford at reasonable prices. They may all be discontinued now like every other replacement part I try to find for my '95.

I kind of like the Steeda sway bars, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the money. They seem like they would be a good match for the FR C-springs I'm running. They get expensive by the time you total up the front and rear bars along with new bushings and and the solid front mounts (icing on the cake). That money could be spent elsewhere to make my car faster and then the sway bars would become a necessity. ;)

Last edited:
Enthusiastic street driving Is my main use plan. A balanced front and rear bar pair is definitely the plan for more neutral handling than plowing.
When I have passengers and find an empty roundabout, I plan on having on them leaving face prints on the windows. ;-)

LMR also has a sway bar guide on their site...

It's hard to find OEM Fox front sway bars. MPS Auto Salvage has them every now and then.

Aftermarket front bars are usually larger. Installing a larger front bar will add understeer to a car that already has understeer... it will make the car handle worse at the limit. Depending on the front bar you have, you might want to keep it and install a larger rear bar.

Sway bars are a very personal choice. Other mods, and your driving style, both factor in to which bars you should choose.

Is your LX a 5.0 or 2.3? What size front bar do you have? Are you using the car for performance driving or street driving?

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user

I have a Steeda front sway bar; it's a beast. I also have the rear sway bar (yaw bar) that was discontinued, and no one makes a comparable piece. It wont' fit with an axle girdle though. I'm going to hold onto it, and see if it appreciates in value.

Kurt

The Steeda 1STA Adjustable Rear Sway Bar was, in my opinion, the best bang-for-the-buck handling mod you could make to 79-04 Mustangs. Having the ability to add or remove oversteer based on other mods is incredibly important (especially for autocross). The 1STA was made for Steeda by Addco. I emailed Steeda several times asking them to start offering the 1STA again, but they have no plans to do that.

I've also been emailing Addco about adding adjustable end links to their 79-04 Rear Sway Bar (they offered adj. end links in the past). If you're a fan of the Steeda Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, or if you want the option of buying an inexpensive adjustable rear sway bar, please email Addco (through the form on their website) and let them know there's a market for an adjustable version of the bar they already make (using the end links they used to make).

Maybe we can get this awesome part back into production.

Reactions: 2 users
Without any other mods, a 36mm front bar and a 24mm rear bar (the sizes in the Eibach kit) will help with body roll, but you will still have an understeer condition at the limit of traction. Under normal street driving, the car will feel more composed, but pushing the car hard will expose the fact that it will still have a tendency to understeer.

Most of the time, you need to compensate for larger sway bars with adjustable shocks & struts, negative camber, more caster, etc. Those mods allow you to fine-tune the suspension.

On my 1992 GT autocross car, I use a 1 3/8" Steeda front sway bar, a 23mm OEM SN95 rear bar AND the Steeda adjustable rear sway bar (set for more oversteer). It takes a lot of added oversteer to compensate for the larger front bar (and get the car neutral, with the limit of traction much further out than stock).

If I could only change 1 sway bar on a stock Mustang, I would add a larger rear sway bar. Depending on the OEM front bar size, I would use an OEM 23mm, or an aftermarket 24mm or 25mm bar. That will reduce understeer and get the car closer to being neutral.

The best approach to getting these cars neutral is to dial-out the understeer first.

Here's a video I made that talks about how these parts can be used to adjust your suspension, and how some common mods impact understeer and oversteer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HiS-t4_O_w&t

@Warhorse Racing you answered my original intended question of a good salvage yard score, besides going much farther. It did not cross my mind that the SN95 rear bars would be a direct fit. It should have. When I check the front bar size, I bet I can find a good street set up. And with your experience, I know what to do if the auto cross bug bites.

Reactions: 1 user
@Warhorse Racing you answered my original intended question of a good salvage yard score, besides going much farther. It did not cross my mind that the SN95 rear bars would be a direct fit. It should have. When I check the front bar size, I bet I can find a good street set up. And with your experience, I know what to do if the auto cross bug bites.

I'm glad I was able to help. Let me know what size your front bar is when you check it.

And, you should definitely give autocross a try if you get the chance. It's a great way to enjoy these awesome cars!

The Steeda 1STA Adjustable Rear Sway Bar was, in my opinion, the best bang-for-the-buck handling mod you could make to 79-04 Mustangs. Having the ability to add or remove oversteer based on other mods is incredibly important (especially for autocross). The 1STA was made for Steeda by Addco. I emailed Steeda several times asking them to start offering the 1STA again, but they have no plans to do that.

I've also been emailing Addco about adding adjustable end links to their 79-04 Rear Sway Bar (they offered adj. end links in the past). If you're a fan of the Steeda Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, or if you want the option of buying an inexpensive adjustable rear sway bar, please email Addco (through the form on their website) and let them know there's a market for an adjustable version of the bar they already make (using the end links they used to make).

Maybe we can get this awesome part back into production.

I went through all that with them on the phone. It's a pretty amazing piece. Not only good for autocross, but for drag racing as well. You could wrench the right side down tight and keep the car straight off the line when the front tires came up. Unfortunately I need more axle strength now, so it's going to have to be an anti-roll bar in my future. If you know anyone that needs a 1sta, I have one sitting on my garage floor right now.

Kurt