Failed NC State Inspection - OBD

ApexStang

Dec 19, 2002
Apex, NC
Guys, I failed NC OBD test. Went to a Jiffy Lube. I have a Pypes O/R H Pipe, Brenspeed tune, and a C&L Racer Intake with the Flowmaster exhaust.

It did not fail visual inspection of the cats, it failed when they plugged it in to my PC.

Is the fix to simply return to the stock tune and install MIL eliminators? Would that be the fix? Or should I purchase the MIL eliminators and ask Brenspeed to send me a new tune that does not turn off the O2 sensors?

Thanks,
Apex

• Sponsors (?)

what was the exact reason for the failure? it should be in the inspection report. if they dont give you that information, its kinda hard to know what to fix.

I went through this in Maryland. We just have an ODBII scan.

There are TWO reasons an aftermarket or custom tune can cause the OBDII scan failure. The most common is the o2 sensors are turned off in the tune. So have your tuner supply a new tune with them on.

Another culprit can be the emission monitor flag has inadvertantly been turned off--this happened to a number of folks including me. I think the flag is called "P1000" or something similar, but it determines whether the tests that are used by the emission system to ensure it's working properly is ON or OFF. Apparently a base tune sent out to SCT based performance shops had this OFF instead of ON, and all tunes that used this updated base tune then inherited the problem. I took my car back to the tuner and he created a new tune with the emission monitor flag ON, and I drove for 50 miles and got retested. I passed just fine.

Just letting you know there can be another, less obvious reason for failure...

John

what was the exact reason for the failure? it should be in the inspection report. if they dont give you that information, its kinda hard to know what to fix.

He did not give me the report. They didn't charge me anything either. I was in and out in like 5 minutes. My thoughts are I should purchase the MIL eliminators, install a new tune from Brenspeed and that should work. Any opinions on that idea?

If you can't hash it out, buy a PO box in one of the counties that don't test, re-register the car to that po box, and don't go to testing. A simple work around I used way back in the day of f-body hot rodding.

I went with the Kooks catted X for this very reason, when it comes time to deal with the emissions teams, I want nothing to do with the headaches.

Mil dont work on 07 and up AT ALL, you have a 50/50 with the 05 and 06 but the 07 and 08 NO GO, cant figure out why, but we went through 4 differnt sets on my buddies 07 and 2 sets again on his girls 08.. Just get a tune with emmissions flag turn ON not off and retest you should be fine !

I plan on installing an H pype in my car... in additional to a tune and intake.

I think I am going to just swap the H pype out once a year and put my cat's back on just so that I can pass inspection...

Though - I havent actually done an H pype install before.... Hopefully it doesnt take a long time!

BTW - I am in NY

Well, Brent from Brenspeed to the rescue! He said that I will not pass OBD with the O/R H pipe at all, even WITH a corrected tune. As a poster above mentioned, MIL's are a no go on 07 Gt's. So the ONLY correction to my problem is my stock Catted H Pipe, which I don't have!!!

Well, a new one is $1700 from Ford!!!! This is where Brent is saving my ass, he has one for next to nothing that he is going to send me. Just for that, my Supercharger and Suspension business is going to go to them.

They are quality people. I'll get it all installed, then inspected, then put the O/R H back on. :nice: