failsafe engine mode!!! help

ptfoxbdy89

Aug 4, 2007
Memphis Tn.
Ok first off im new here so hi to everyone names preston im from memphis tn. So the story goes i buy a 2005 mustang gt last friday it has 14000 miles on it the car is gorgeous not a scratch on it and better yet completly stock.. anyway i buy the car leave the lot get home and take it out for a drive 10 min later the car bogs down really abrupt like a chime sounds and a light on the dash comes on (failsafe engine mode) i **** myself and become very angry at this i pull into a gas station turn the car off and think about options.. i think maybe the car has been setting up and needs to relearn the tune?? i unplug the bat cables and wait hook them up 5 mins later the same light comes on so i take it to the dealership and the service guy tells me the throttle body needs to be replaced? im confused not sure if the part was faulty from the factory or what they are pickin up the bill for it ive just never heard of such a thing?? anyone else hear about it??

• Sponsors (?)

ok thanks for the input i just didn't know if it was something major im not mechanically retarded but i know nothing about the 3 valve mod motors i do know that my 2005 doesn't feel as agressive as my 99 2valve but it was lightly modded with a big 373 gear so that may be most of the reason.. so you guys say i should stick with the car?? i just dont want problem after problem you guys get many problems with your stangs 2005 and up?

Sounds to me that it is likely the TPS( Throttle Position Sensor ) which is roughly a $100.00 repair...

I have heard of a few TPS failures including mine( 05 Mustang GT ).

ok thanks for the input i just didn't know if it was something major im not mechanically retarded but i know nothing about the 3 valve mod motors i do know that my 2005 doesn't feel as agressive as my 99 2valve but it was lightly modded with a big 373 gear so that may be most of the reason.. so you guys say i should stick with the car?? i just dont want problem after problem you guys get many problems with your stangs 2005 and up?

EH? :shrug:

My 08 GT feels faster than my friends 99 cobra....

yeah i have been through some other forums looking at problems and really the only issues i have seen have been the spark plug thing, and with the rear ends, on occation something to do with windows.. knock on wood is right! but i think she is good to go now.. now i just have to resist buying all those bolt ons!! thx for the input guys.