• Mustang Forums
  • Mustang Sound & Shine All

False floor installs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dtowncats
  • Start date Start date Jun 11, 2005
D

Dtowncats

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
340
0
0
York, PA
Jun 11, 2005
#1
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #1
I am looking for some ideas for my custom install and I want to do a false floor. Can I see some pics of false floor installs you guys did? I will have 2 amps and 1 12" sub. Maybe some pics in the middle of it also? Thanks.
 

zincyellow03

New Member
Jul 5, 2004
0
0
0
My dead ho likes Chicago
Jun 11, 2005
#2
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #2
Are you talking about removing the spare tire in the trunk?
 
D

Dtowncats

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
340
0
0
York, PA
Jun 11, 2005
#3
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #3
Yup I wanna put a sub in the spare tirewell and flush mount my amps into the floor and cover them with fiberglass. Kind of what AlanW6 did. Does anyone know the volume of the spare tirewell?
 

RacEoHolic330

I like to dress like a pretty girl
15 Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
4,014
1,698
203
Allentown, PA
Jun 12, 2005
#4
  • Jun 12, 2005
  • #4
Here's what I did. Not as extensive as alan's but my teenage mind has very little patience to lay fiberglass. It works for me. these pics are outdated. I ditched the gray carpet for some nicer black stuff since these were taken.







 
D

Dtowncats

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
340
0
0
York, PA
Jun 12, 2005
#5
  • Jun 12, 2005
  • #5
RacEoHolic330 said:
Here's what I did. Not as extensive as alan's but my teenage mind has very little patience to lay fiberglass. It works for me. these pics are outdated. I ditched the gray carpet for some nicer black stuff since these were taken.







Click to expand...
I have seen your's plenty of times. I would love to do it but I don't know if I want to give away my back seat. How does that box stay in place? I thought about doing that also so I won't have to mess with fiberglass.
 

98stangv8

Active Member
Oct 3, 2003
1,036
0
36
fayetteville, nc
Jun 12, 2005
#6
  • Jun 12, 2005
  • #6
Dtowncats said:
I am looking for some ideas for my custom install and I want to do a false floor. Can I see some pics of false floor installs you guys did? I will have 2 amps and 1 12" sub. Maybe some pics in the middle of it also? Thanks.
Click to expand...


not sure what year your car is...but here are some pics from mine:



 

Attachments

  • basedown.webp
    82.5 KB · Views: 166
  • floor_mounted.webp
    79.2 KB · Views: 216
  • final2.webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 179
D

Dtowncats

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
340
0
0
York, PA
Jun 13, 2005
#7
  • Jun 13, 2005
  • #7
98stangv8 said:
not sure what year your car is...but here are some pics from mine:



Click to expand...
Mine is a 92 but that is definitely pretty damn cool what you did! Good job man!
 

Attachments

  • basedown.webp
    82.5 KB · Views: 147
  • floor_mounted.webp
    79.2 KB · Views: 208
  • final2.webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 210
S

Scorcher2005

Member
Apr 17, 2004
883
0
16
South Carolina
Jun 17, 2005
#8
  • Jun 17, 2005
  • #8
Dtowncats said:
Yup I wanna put a sub in the spare tirewell and flush mount my amps into the floor and cover them with fiberglass. Kind of what AlanW6 did. Does anyone know the volume of the spare tirewell?
Click to expand...


you dont want to use the bare metal spare tire well as the sub box. it will sound like junk.
 
D

Dtowncats

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
340
0
0
York, PA
Jun 17, 2005
#9
  • Jun 17, 2005
  • #9
Scorcher2005 said:
you dont want to use the bare metal spare tire well as the sub box. it will sound like junk.
Click to expand...
I know that! I would be making a fiberglass mold.
 

alanw6

Member
Dec 19, 2002
449
0
16
memphis, TN
Jun 17, 2005
#10
  • Jun 17, 2005
  • #10
Dtowncats, the spare tire well will be roughly 1.5 cubic feet. Mine was about 1.25 with the placement I chose for the MDF back wall section of the tub.

Remember water is an easy test for volume and leaks at the same time. Find a liters to cubic feet calculator online and measure with a bucket. Most car wash or kitchen buckets have volume lines on the side.
 
D

Dtowncats

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
340
0
0
York, PA
Jun 18, 2005
#11
  • Jun 18, 2005
  • #11
alanw6 said:
Dtowncats, the spare tire well will be roughly 1.5 cubic feet. Mine was about 1.25 with the placement I chose for the MDF back wall section of the tub.

Remember water is an easy test for volume and leaks at the same time. Find a liters to cubic feet calculator online and measure with a bucket. Most car wash or kitchen buckets have volume lines on the side.
Click to expand...
I think I may just try to build a box for inside the spare tire well. I am going with 2 8" Sound Splinter RL-i's. They are compared to JL 8W7s by very knowledgable audio people. Here is a link to them: http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_se...ar_and_home_subwoofer_driver_information.html. The rms is 350 and I will be running them at 300 wrms. It will be ported of course
 

korsburn

New Member
Mar 30, 2005
50
0
0
Jun 18, 2005
#12
  • Jun 18, 2005
  • #12
im in the the process as we speak of putting a sound stream 15 in my spare tire area its going to be sweet
 

alanw6

Member
Dec 19, 2002
449
0
16
memphis, TN
Jun 18, 2005
#13
  • Jun 18, 2005
  • #13
Dtowncats said:
I think I may just try to build a box for inside the spare tire well. I am going with 2 8" Sound Splinter RL-i's. They are compared to JL 8W7s by very knowledgable audio people. Here is a link to them: http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_se...ar_and_home_subwoofer_driver_information.html. The rms is 350 and I will be running them at 300 wrms. It will be ported of course
Click to expand...

That will probably be a really nice combo. I checked out the subs, and on paper they are similar to the W7, and will save you a chunk of change to spend on your install.

Do you have any specs for a ported enclosure? I could probaby help you find a cool way to vent the box if I had some specs.
 
D

Dtowncats

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
340
0
0
York, PA
Jun 19, 2005
#14
  • Jun 19, 2005
  • #14
alanw6 said:
Do you have any specs for a ported enclosure? I could probaby help you find a cool way to vent the box if I had some specs.
Click to expand...
If you are on the webpage, they have enclosure recomendations on there. The ported are at the bottom. They have 3 diff. ones for ported/vented. The main problem I am going to have is that the amp I have does not have a sub-sonic filter. I was told if I tune it around 30 hz I shouldn't have a problem, but I want it to be louder.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
80
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
C
1968 Coupe Automatic Trans Floor Console.
  • Chrispy62
  • Oct 15, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
293
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Oct 16, 2025
Chrispy62
C
Sound deadener install
  • limp
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
252
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 17, 2026
limp
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
461
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
896
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • Mustang Sound & Shine All
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?