fan making some wierd noises

carbed87

Jun 5, 2005
i just have my oem fan on, but the other day i noticed that when i rev it up past, oh i dont know, 2k, the fan starts howling all loud. i got it to stop by popping the hood and spinning it by hand the other way (i think) and it didn't make the noise.... that was yesterday, and i had to do the same thing today. could someone tell me whats going on with it. thanks:) oh, and happy thanksgiving

• Sponsors (?)

well, it'll get really easy sometimes, then it'll tighten up as if it was threaded, then later break away and be loose again. i noticed that if it's loose like i explained, it doesn't howl. however i think this also means that the fan straight up isn't working because it looked like my temp gauge started to clib a lot. say, would this sort of thing suck any power from my car. i dont know if the "placebo" effect, but it seems like from second gear up, it doesn't seem to have as much mid-range as it did.

either way. i AM throwing that tauraus fan on. would my local parts store carry a "wiring kit" with all the necesary relays and everything.

once again, thanks for all the replies on such a lame question lol

well, it'll get really easy sometimes, then it'll tighten up as if it was threaded, then later break away and be loose again. i noticed that if it's loose like i explained, it doesn't howl. however i think this also means that the fan straight up isn't working because it looked like my temp gauge started to clib a lot. say, would this sort of thing suck any power from my car. i dont know if the "placebo" effect, but it seems like from second gear up, it doesn't seem to have as much mid-range as it did.

either way. i AM throwing that tauraus fan on. would my local parts store carry a "wiring kit" with all the necesary relays and everything.

once again, thanks for all the replies on such a lame question lol

I gotcha. The clutch fans use silicone in a viscous coupling. A bimetallic spring regulates the flow of fluid (so it locks up when the clutch gets hot). You might find fluid leaking around the clutch hub when you remove it.

In any case, your plans sound great. You can make a cheap controller from the parts store work. Post up if you have AC and we can get you schematics.

The best way to control it would be a Dc Controller.

Good luck.