Fan Options For '65 289 With Factory Radiator, No A/c

csxfbird

Jun 12, 2004
I recently had to pull the OEM 2-row radiator out of my '65 to have a leak fixed, which is a non-AC car with four blade fan and what I believe to be a factory metal shroud.

I live in AZ, and around this time of year in 100+ degree temps is the only time I'll ever encounter heating issues - I've never boiled over, but I have seen the temp gauge climb up in traffic. Since I have the radiator out, I wanted to see if there was a fan/thermostat upgrade I could make that could be used with the stock radiator that might help keep temps in check.

1) Fan
I originally thought a Flex-A-Lite fan would be the fix, but they seem to have mixed reviews from people with experience with them. A thermal clutch fan, however, seems to be a universally approved option.

RockAuto shows a number of clutches that fit the 289 - AC Delco 1582077, Hayden 2710, and Four Seasons 36911. Is it simply a matter of bolting the clutch onto the water pump and then installing the fan on the clutch?

Here's a link to the AC Delco unit as an example:

Amazon product ASIN B000IYRUAGView: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-80277-Professional-Engine-Cooling/dp/B000IYRUAG

Assuming a clutch is the way to go, what would be the best fan to pair it with? I've seen talk of an OEM 7-blade fan, but can't seem to come across any for sale online.

2) Thermostat
There's no indications that there's anything wrong with mine, but I have no idea what temperature it's designed for, so I figured I'd replace it with something known. I've seen both a 180 degree or a 195 recommended for a stock application, any opinion either way?

I know a larger and/or 3-row radiator would be the ideal fix, but until I rebuild the car, I'd rather not make that kind of monetary investment. Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)