fan swap - wiring...

screamin gt

5 Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
central CT
I posted on a couple other forums with no replies. short story I changed my radiator to something that will work better for me with a different upper radiator location to make a better route to the intake. So due to that I'm using the fans that came with the radiator. These fans have a ground and a power.

The stock fan harness obviously has three wires... ground, low speed, high speed.

I sucked at wiring. Dont care to have a switch inside. I just want to use the existing harness and have the fan kick on when it normally would. What do I need to do? Please explain so a 5 yr old could understand.

• Sponsors (?)

Well... your stock fan is setup for low speeds and high speeds. Your aftermarket fan is set up for one speed. It's not compatible. You can hook it up to the low speed or the high speed... Or you can re-engineer it. What else do you want?

Check out the following post. This guy is wanting to do nearly the same thing.

Can't make it so that a 5yr old can do it and still be stock. Afraid some work is going to be needed.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/823790-mishimoto-cooling-fans.html

However, since you have a single speed fan, it might just work to tie the LS and HS wires together and wire straight through to the single speed fan. (feedback may not be an issue as mentioned in the post).

Depending upon the wattage of your fans, this may blow the low speed circuit breaker. If it does, look at the part about a ballast resistor. Another option is to jump the LS fan circuit breaker with a piece of wire.

I like how you said about using the one fan for low and both for high with the diodes in between. as long as the numbers for my fans are about the same as his that should work for me too? :shrug: seems easy enough.

The diodes are like a one way valve is to plumbing I guess?