Fastback rear window disaster!

One year ago I started a rotisserie restmod of a 65 fastback. Took original rear window out at that time and it has been sitting in my garage until yesterday. I am finally at the point where I am putting the car back together. Yesterday I installed the windshield and rear window. The $95 windshield went in with some effort but it's in. The rear window could not have gone in any easier. I used the nylon rope in the rubber gasket method and it just set in perfectly. I started assembling the interior panels and was quite pleased with my handy work.

Came home from work today and the rear window had shattered into thousands of pieces!!!! I almost cried. The is no evidence that anything hit it. My theory is that because the car is still on the rotisserie there are unusual stresses on the unibody (yes, it has subframe connectors, TCP). That combined with the temp. varation we've been having here in So. Cal. (59-96 in the last few days) caused the catastrophy.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Before I spend the money for a new window is there anything I should know?
Should I wait until I have the car off of the rotisserie to install the window?
Or should I buy the Polycarbonate window? I like the idea of saving another 30lbs but I don't think you can see through those windows very well. However, this will not be a daily driver. Has anyone had any experience with the Lexan windows (not R-model)?

Thanks,
Brad

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have experience with polycarbonate windows per se but lots of experience with polycarbonate. Don't use them for windows if you plan on seeing thru them long term. Lexan is tough, but it has poor abrasion resistance compared to glass and it will get scratached and hazed and you will hate it. I'd stick with glass and install it off the rotisserie