Father in Law Accident

• Sponsors (?)

Glad everyone is ok. My convertible is a car that was factory manual transmission. It now has AOD but the neutral safety switch is non existent. It will start in gear. If the shifter is in gear and you lean in and turn the key, when the engine fires up the car will take off on its own. Run away...without the driver. i really need to fix this.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Yes, fix that. I saw a 1969 big block Camaro at a car show, parked right behind a pristine 55 Chevy, and in front of a 70 El Camino kind of in a line on a ball field. The Camaro guy reaches in through his open window, hits the key...car fires up IN GEAR, idle must have been set to 1200 RPM's because that car took off and smashed into the back of the 55. The guy jumps through the window tries to throw it in park, hits reverse and goes backwards into the El Camino, and he finally got to the key and shut it off. 3 cars smashed...3 gorgeous cars smashed...it was sad.

• Surprised
I have this AOD shifter, it has an aftermarket handle but it works perfect. I will give it to you if you want it. Just cover shipping. Let me know.

Chris

ROsEvu.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I think the nss is on the trans, but some years have the cable lock that goes from the shifter to the ignition switch which makes it so you can't take out the key unless it's in park. This particular shifter does not have the cable lock on it. I think it is out of a 1990.

I have a stock AOD shifter on the car already. I need to look at everything close to see exactly what may be missing or not wired up properly. If Ragged GT needs that shifter, pass it on since I already the stock one.

in any event, thanks a bunch for offering it up

Wow that really sucks to hear, sorry about the bad luck! I have never owned an Automatic in my life but the few times I have driven one I had the handbrake set and my foot on the brake pedal for just such a crazy occurrence.

Yes, fix that. I saw a 1969 big block Camaro at a car show, parked right behind a pristine 55 Chevy, and in front of a 70 El Camino kind of in a line on a ball field. The Camaro guy reaches in through his open window, hits the key...car fires up IN GEAR, idle must have been set to 1200 RPM's because that car took off and smashed into the back of the 55. The guy jumps through the window tries to throw it in park, hits reverse and goes backwards into the El Camino, and he finally got to the key and shut it off. 3 cars smashed...3 gorgeous cars smashed...it was sad.
So this guy,...knowing that he hadn’t wired in a neutral safety switch reaches in through his open window to start his car......

The other two guys shoulda beat his ass.