Favorite gear ratios

• Sponsors (?)

That's pretty quiet .

When compared to open headers, it is. Even compared to what it was before I added a pair of glasspacks upstream of the 2 chamber Thrush mufflers. But it's still a bit too loud in the car, so I'm thinking I'm going to try one of 2 different things depending on what I can get done. I'm looking to either run tail pipes under the rear of the quarter panels like a Fox LX or 85-85 GT, or I'm thinking of swapping the Thrush mufflers for a pair of Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flows. Even then I may consider the tail pipe idea. I like the way it sounds while outside of the car but I'm deaf enough, I don't need the help inside the car.

Here's my exhaust setup right now.

So these are louvered glass packs, I ended up installing them with the open side facing the headers since that offers the most noise cancelling. I really hope I like how it sounds when it's all said and done, but I have no doubt it'll be quieter.

IMG_20200425_095245.jpg
IMG_20200425_095750.jpg
IMG_20200425_102338.jpg
IMG_20200425_102357.jpg

And here's one of the most recent videos I took with my imitation GoPro:

View: https://youtu.be/VOfG6FtAlo0

Last edited:
I want to change the gear ratio in my bonestock 86 gt, but from what Ive been seeing, everyone prefers their own gear ratio. What gear ratios do you guys prefer or like better than the others? I need some input before i blow 300 bones on some gears. My dad who has a 92 gt rocks (what I think are) 3.73's are those feel nice. The only downside from that gear ratio is that you sit in 2.1k rpm at 40mph.
I rebuilt my rear and put in 3:73 on my other wise bone stock ‘86. It is way more fun to drive for sure. Can you say “torquey”!! I’m hardly on the highways, but if I was, I probably would have gone 3:55. It’s screaming pretty loud trying to keep up with traffic at 65 mph (and that’s the slow lane)
PS: hello from a fellow New Yorker!