Fender mounted CAI YAY or NAY?

NurseGuy

May 27, 2019
Sylvania GA
So I am here again with a question. My SN95 GT has a cold air intake system that runs out into the front right fender well. Question 1: how do you inspect the filter and change if need be?
Question 2: am I at risk of sucking in moisture or water and hydro locking my motor? I'm assuming it has to be relatively safe, otherwise, it wouldn't be on the market. Any tips, input, suggestions, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should just put a new CAI on where the filter is in the engine bay and not under the fender well.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Ease of Access to the filter depends on the year of your GT, CAI type..(?) The filter’s clamped onto the 90 Deg.Tube entering the fender, bolted or clamped to your MAF.
With some CAI’ types, you can easily access the filter from up top, others you may need fight with a tad, (partially dropping the fender skirt helps) & working from bottom up to loosen the clamp & pull the filter down through the working space between the lower front fender & the skirt.
Most CAI filters, I.e. K&N, BBK, SVE, etc. -are reusable. Remove, wash, dry & re-oil, reinstall. (I just replace them)..Both filter design & the proper application of the Mfg’s filter Oil on its surfaces both play a role in repelling the small amounts of external moisture it’s exposed to from entering the Intake, per your concern.
Is your engine running erratically in the rain, or is this more access to filter convenience?
Note that some CAI’s May require a Tune to run correctly, or prevent a CEL. If you modify the car with with another Intake, you’ll potentially be looking at a Tune specific for the new unit you do install.
Is the Car stock, otherwise, or are you running an aftermarket Tune?
-John

Car runs great and without issue. I just started thinking about how rain water sprays from the tires and then thought "well hell..... is my breather going to be sucking in all of that spray / road wash?? I had a Mach 1 in Highschool with the Shaker Hood and never had any issues so, I figured that the fender mounted set up was at least as safe as the shaker, if not more so.

Hi, - Mach 1 with a Shaker- sweet ride! Yeah, all the Shakers, Ram Air, Air grabbers from the Classic’s & though it seemed it would, none flooded out. But once you saw it, up close & personal, then it made more sense
Same thing here...
Around 1x a year, you should pull the Filter & get your MFG’s specific rec’s & Oil for cleaning & reoiling.. If you need to go from underneath to get it, it’s 20-30 minutes (+/-) your first shot, half that the 2nd time.
With most fenderwell intake systems, you install/remove the filter from the bottom. it’s piping all done from up top. Ironically, the stock Filterbox pulled it’s air from the same area, and flowed well- OE piping is restrictive.
On that note I’d attached a link showing one going in for some insight. If you have questions about details, feel free to ask. Good luck!!
- John

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hev0gTLfBFE

Yeah man, my Mach 1 was sweet! Black on black. I wish I could find another one like her but sadly my finances just won't allow for it at this point in time. ONE DAY THOUGH!!!! ONE DAY I'll feel that Mach 1 rumble and hear those pipes sing. God those cars sound amazing! That extra valve sure makes a difference (4 valve correct? vs the 3 valve 4.6 liter). We called her "Big Betty" because she had a fat ass. Haahaha.

I’ve always put my filter in the fender. Putting the filter in the engine compartment will always warm up the air to some extent. Anything that gets you the coldest air possible is always to your advantage - that’s why I bought a huge three row intercooler, it’s why people use meth, and it’s why nearly every OEM performance car has design features to draw external air rather than under hood air. The difference is small but I’ve never had that “heat soak” feeling - it is more obvious at bigger power levels: http://kennebell.net/about/the-kenne-bell-30-50hp-advantage/

Attachments

• 8EC7593A-F832-4FD5-A4DB-94C49ECFD343.jpeg
    8EC7593A-F832-4FD5-A4DB-94C49ECFD343.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 115
I just wish I could get my baby back from the transmission shop. The TOB retainer tube broke off and I'm having all of the clutch components redone......again. You'd think that the idiot who did it the first time would have noticed that the retainer tube was broken in half.

Hi, That’s awful- How long ago was that? They giving you a reasonable cost offset in light of that?
How could they not have noted that, lazy or incapable tech doesn’t do it right- once.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, That’s awful- How long ago was that? They giving you a reasonable cost offset in light of that?
How could they not have noted that, lazy or incapable tech doesn’t do it right- once.
in total, he had Blanca in his shop for over a month! A frigging month! He did not offset the price, but he did eat the 2nd transmission shop bill.. Long story short, I denied paying the last $400 of his bill, went to magistrate judge (my Uncle), got a court order in support of me (we did have to go before the judge) and I reported his ass to the better business folks. He is incompetent and running a :poo:ty ass business. I had a buddy of mine redo the clutch, bearing, etc and she's now running like a top! It wasn't even just a tech, it was the actual shop owner who had this big sign hanging up saying "Master Tech" from some technical college. I think it was a printed BS poster he got off of Google Images or Photoshop. Now, the AC that he "fixed" before the clutch job has stopped blowing cold. I'm calling my Uncle again tomorrow to see what avenue(s) I can take to make him pay the repair bill at another VERY reputable but expensive shop in town. I was trying to save a few hundred bucks but in the long run..... it was SO NOT WORTH IT!

in total, he had Blanca in his shop for over a month! A frigging month! He did not offset the price, but he did eat the 2nd transmission shop bill.. Long story short, I denied paying the last $400 of his bill, went to magistrate judge (my Uncle), got a court order in support of me (we did have to go before the judge) and I reported his ass to the better business folks. He is incompetent and running a :poo:ty ass business. I had a buddy of mine redo the clutch, bearing, etc and she's now running like a top! It wasn't even just a tech, it was the actual shop owner who had this big sign hanging up saying "Master Tech" from some technical college. I think it was a printed BS poster he got off of Google Images or Photoshop. Now, the AC that he "fixed" before the clutch job has stopped blowing cold. I'm calling my Uncle again tomorrow to see what avenue(s) I can take to make him pay the repair bill at another VERY reputable but expensive shop in town. I was trying to save a few hundred bucks but in the long run..... it was SO NOT WORTH IT!
Hi,
Well- like the old adage says” You get what you pay for”.. You’ll LOVE this.
Around 2004, Very busy at my primary job (in VT., lived in Mass- 120mile daily commute). Shop was only side work at that point- so, I’d reluctantly brought my 96’ Cobra to a tranny Shop, friend recommended- new shop.Kept getting stuck in reverse.
Got jammed 4-5 times, one day, I stopped at a Store & it got stuck to the point every trick I knew wouldn’t free it! Angered to the core, I drove it to the Tranny Shop 12 miles down a thickly settled area with lots of traffic, many stores, roads, lights, etc, BACKWARDS!
Shop watched me pull in to their lot, backwards..
Not sure if I’d received more thumbs up or middle fingers during the drive, pretty even I’d say...but I didn’t care, was fuming!... had 5-6 traffic lights I had to get through, the faces people made as I’d pulled up aside them at lights, passing them- backwards- were PRICELESS!
Wish I’d had a Camera in retrospect....
I passed cars, through traffic lights, went around a 1/2 Rotary, good thing I had stock Gears (1st is almost identical in ratio to Reverse), I have no idea how there wasn’t one Cop out, normally crawling with them, Staties, too- that would have been fun to explain, lol!
DID use my directionals, speed limit at 6,000 was 45mph, if that matters!
My buddy’s shop was overwhelmed, was trying to help a new shop out, guy fresh out of Devry.
Well, he should have installed studs & wing nuts as it took (3) times before it no longer stuck in reverse when he reassembled and tested it. pulled the Shifter pod, exhaust, crossmember & Trans, dropping the driveshaft, then tearing down the Trans, plus reassembly, gaskets and Oil, his work caused more failures...
Initially now shop owner said it was the gear, I thought fork, regardless- he was so cocky he set a price of 500$, even wrote up the slip & i’d paid for it! After the completed job, (9 Days later, 5 Trans removals) he now handed me an additional 2,100$ bill!
I blew up & after I was done, he caved & i’d fairly said I’d pay for the Parts (at cost), so I’d paid 220$ more for Ford Bearings & Fork, Thrust, Gear, snaprings & Shims, slightly more than agreed up front, but one time R & R, tear down- all it should’ve been...
Wasn’t my fault he was a moron & repeated this trait..arrogance faded quick to real world stress..
Turned out cheaply made reverse Gear(s) he bought (18$ cheaper than OE) were inconsistent, his oversight(s).
Bearings were actually broken, fork slightly bent (he tried straightening it in a press, broke it).
Once he finally removed the Bearings, buying an OE Ford Gear, Fork, rather than being cheap, REVERSE worked correctly....Then...
During the 4th Install, he crushed the Pilot bearing reinstalling the Trans.,Then TEST DROVE it that way! Then, Tear down #5.
My buddy swung by & caught them using an orbital sander on the flywheel to remove burn marks from driving w/a broken pilot bearing, burn marks on the flywheel & Pressure plate. Both Work hardened. Clutch Disc covered in Oil..At that point, it’s not worth it’s weight in scrap! He bought/installed a new Centerforce Clutch, and a new Flywheel, on his coin.id installed it a year before.
So, (5) times before he got it right, losses about 400$ Clutch, all extras, (8) days of labor., and the ridicule- he hired an experienced Transmission Tech., now it’s flourishing. He would’ve taken some poor guy/gal for a real ride, if they went along with that- no doubt.
Nothing against Devry, just experience vs education, really need both!

Hi,
Well- like the old adage says” You get what you pay for”.. You’ll LOVE this.
Around 2004, Very busy at my primary job (in VT., lived in Mass- 120mile daily commute). Shop was only side work at that point- so, I’d reluctantly brought my 96’ Cobra to a tranny Shop, friend recommended- new shop.Kept getting stuck in reverse.
Got jammed 4-5 times, one day, I stopped at a Store & it got stuck to the point every trick I knew wouldn’t free it! Angered to the core, I drove it to the Tranny Shop 12 miles down a thickly settled area with lots of traffic, many stores, roads, lights, etc, BACKWARDS!
Shop watched me pull in to their lot, backwards..
Not sure if I’d received more thumbs up or middle fingers during the drive, pretty even I’d say...but I didn’t care, was fuming!... had 5-6 traffic lights I had to get through, the faces people made as I’d pulled up aside them at lights, passing them- backwards- were PRICELESS!
Wish I’d had a Camera in retrospect....
I passed cars, through traffic lights, went around a 1/2 Rotary, good thing I had stock Gears (1st is almost identical in ratio to Reverse), I have no idea how there wasn’t one Cop out, normally crawling with them, Staties, too- that would have been fun to explain, lol!
DID use my directionals, speed limit at 6,000 was 45mph, if that matters!
My buddy’s shop was overwhelmed, was trying to help a new shop out, guy fresh out of Devry.
Well, he should have installed studs & wing nuts as it took (3) times before it no longer stuck in reverse when he reassembled and tested it. pulled the Shifter pod, exhaust, crossmember & Trans, dropping the driveshaft, then tearing down the Trans, plus reassembly, gaskets and Oil, his work caused more failures...
Initially now shop owner said it was the gear, I thought fork, regardless- he was so cocky he set a price of 500$, even wrote up the slip & i’d paid for it! After the completed job, (9 Days later, 5 Trans removals) he now handed me an additional 2,100$ bill!
I blew up & after I was done, he caved & i’d fairly said I’d pay for the Parts (at cost), so I’d paid 220$ more for Ford Bearings & Fork, Thrust, Gear, snaprings & Shims, slightly more than agreed up front, but one time R & R, tear down- all it should’ve been...
Wasn’t my fault he was a moron & repeated this trait..arrogance faded quick to real world stress..
Turned out cheaply made reverse Gear(s) he bought (18$ cheaper than OE) were inconsistent, his oversight(s).
Bearings were actually broken, fork slightly bent (he tried straightening it in a press, broke it).
Once he finally removed the Bearings, buying an OE Ford Gear, Fork, rather than being cheap, REVERSE worked correctly....Then...
During the 4th Install, he crushed the Pilot bearing reinstalling the Trans.,Then TEST DROVE it that way! Then, Tear down #5.
My buddy swung by & caught them using an orbital sander on the flywheel to remove burn marks from driving w/a broken pilot bearing, burn marks on the flywheel & Pressure plate. Both Work hardened. Clutch Disc covered in Oil..At that point, it’s not worth it’s weight in scrap! He bought/installed a new Centerforce Clutch, and a new Flywheel, on his coin.id installed it a year before.
So, (5) times before he got it right, losses about 400$ Clutch, all extras, (8) days of labor., and the ridicule- he hired an experienced Transmission Tech., now it’s flourishing. He would’ve taken some poor guy/gal for a real ride, if they went along with that- no doubt.
Nothing against Devry, just experience vs education, really need both!
Jesus! Sounds like a nightmare! It makes you wonder "who can you trust" when dealing with mechanics. The only reputable shop in my town charges an astronomical per hour labor price (pushing $100/hour) on top of highly marked up parts. They will not use any part that the customer brings them as they "don't know where the part came from" and "can't warranty it". The times I've used them, my bills have always been outrageous, but...... the problem was always fixed! Also, referring to education vs. real world experience..... I work with med students and new doctors all the time.... they have the degree, but they would kill my patients if I didn't monitor their every move. Had one new grad try to IV push straight potassium which would basically cause a MAJOR heart attack and stop the heart. I swiftly intervened and stopped him. He got pissed and reported to me to the Attending who promptly tore his ass a new one and demanded that the guy apologize and then thank me for saving his ass! Had one attempt to ventilate a patient without sedative or paralytics, had one guy try to put in a feeding tube without using his landmarks, the stories could go on and on. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean that you know what you're doing!

Jesus! Sounds like a nightmare! It makes you wonder "who can you trust" when dealing with mechanics. The only reputable shop in my town charges an astronomical per hour labor price (pushing $100/hour) on top of highly marked up parts. They will not use any part that the customer brings them as they "don't know where the part came from" and "can't warranty it". The times I've used them, my bills have always been outrageous, but...... the problem was always fixed! Also, referring to education vs. real world experience..... I work with med students and new doctors all the time.... they have the degree, but they would kill my patients if I didn't monitor their every move. Had one new grad try to IV push straight potassium which would basically cause a MAJOR heart attack and stop the heart. I swiftly intervened and stopped him. He got pissed and reported to me to the Attending who promptly tore his ass a new one and demanded that the guy apologize and then thank me for saving his ass! Had one attempt to ventilate a patient without sedative or paralytics, had one guy try to put in a feeding tube without using his landmarks, the stories could go on and on. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean that you know what you're doing!
Hi, That’s crazy! Amend that Doc’s DEA#, no administration by any route containing Potassium!. (Bananas ONLY). lol! Fill all of the “newbies” syringe requests with normal Saline, PO’s with placebo’s until you “properly” train them.:)
My Mom’s a CRRT, 2 Aunts both RN’s , 3rd, an MD. My reading material as a young boy was PDR’s & a Taber’s Medical Dictionary’s to look up words I couldn’t understand (or pronounce) lol. Was pushed into a Medical career, but I loved Cars! Voke H.S. for Automotive, 2 yrs later- came to my senses & applied & pursued dual Engineering Degrees, M.S E.E., B.S M.E. .Nurse’s are the crucial Oil within the smoothly running engine we coin as “Medicine”., or any component required, when required, squashing arrogant M.D’s- whatever it takes, Nurse’s always bridge that gap!

I greatly appreciate your feedback! Medicine runs deep in my family as well.
Yeah man, it was crazy! I was like "okay....we will replace the K+ via an infusion over at least an hour in a K rider with normal saline with 40 of K+ per bag. We will then draw another K+ level to see what it is, and give another K rider if necessary with 20 of K in normal saline. I eat med students for dinner. My boss frequently "warns them" about me. Lol. I had a young female 2nd year student a few weeks ago who wouldn't move out from in front of the cardiac monitor while we were chemically cardioverting a man out of SVT's with IV Adenosine. She was like "I'm a doctor and why should I move". I responded "you are a student with NO license and NO scope of practice. I am charging tonight on floor and I said move. You are standing in front of my monitor and when I stop this mans heart, I would like to see my leads to make sure it starts back again. You are familiar with the concept of Adenosine correct?". She was all like "oh, well, I didn't know and you're just a nurse". I told her to leave the room which she did, but then reported me to her attending. Thankfully he and I had a good working relationship so the attending told the student "if he says jump you had damn well better jump. If he says out..... GET the f##k OUT". He also advised her that in her future, she would be best NOT to piss off the nursing staff, as we can make her shift an easy one or we can make it a living hell!

Perfectly fine if you don't go all hog wild riding through a river. They seem to stay more clean from my testing and run cooler because the air in the fender part isn't quite as warm.

Reactions: 1 user