• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

filling up sux

  • Thread starter Thread starter 68blackv8
  • Start date Start date Jul 21, 2007
6

68blackv8

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
34
0
0
Jul 21, 2007
#1
  • Jul 21, 2007
  • #1
what can i get to make filling up at the gas station in my 68 easier
 

67project

New Member
Dec 14, 2004
12
0
2
Jul 21, 2007
#2
  • Jul 21, 2007
  • #2
Do you mean how gas tends to spill out of the tank when filling these older cars?

or

Are you referring to how hard it is to shell out so much money for gas these days?
 

hhead

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
280
0
17
so cal
Jul 21, 2007
#3
  • Jul 21, 2007
  • #3
67project said:
Do you mean how gas tends to spill out of the tank when filling these older cars?

or

Are you referring to how hard it is to shell out so much money for gas these days?
Click to expand...



For filling up, I try to avoid the handles with the boot around the nozzle. they SUCK!!

For the prices
 
6

68blackv8

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
34
0
0
Jul 21, 2007
#4
  • Jul 21, 2007
  • #4
67project said:
Do you mean how gas tends to spill out of the tank when filling these older cars?

or

Are you referring to how hard it is to shell out so much money for gas these days?
Click to expand...


how gas spills out when filling up. the tube to the tank is at such a weird angle and i have to hold it to make sure the gas comes out slow

isnt there like a funnel or extender made for this?
 

brianj5600

Active Member
Sep 19, 2003
1,964
2
39
Middle TN
Jul 22, 2007
#5
  • Jul 22, 2007
  • #5
There is an art to it. Mine does ok if the nozzle is straight up and down and straight in. I also tilt the handle down/end of nozzle up. It fills good that way, but if I try to fill it all the way, it will spill when the automatic shut off kicks in. When I know it is almost full, I slow way down to minimize/stop the spill. Good luck!
 

scrutmonkey

Member
Jan 17, 2003
243
0
16
San Jose, CA
Jul 22, 2007
#6
  • Jul 22, 2007
  • #6
yup, filling my 68 is kinda of an art form. push the bastard in, get the right angle, and open the valve up halfway....when she fills, autostop kicks in and sometimes i can get it without spilling any gas.
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Jul 22, 2007
#7
  • Jul 22, 2007
  • #7
My car hasn't been driven on the street in so long I've kinda forgot about this issue. I was thinking of junkyarding a late model fill neck, making an adaptor and leaving it in my trunk. I wonder if anyone else has done this...
 

65fastbackresto

Active Member
Apr 13, 2007
1,229
7
39
AR
Jul 22, 2007
#8
  • Jul 22, 2007
  • #8
I bought my car 4 months ago

and have added $5 worth, trust me, they eat more money sitting broken in the garage then they do running putting gas in them, I envy you...
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Jul 22, 2007
#9
  • Jul 22, 2007
  • #9
65fastbackresto said:
and have added $5 worth, trust me, they eat more money sitting broken in the garage then they do running putting gas in them, I envy you...
Click to expand...

My car is a raging POS rust bucket, no one should envy me.
 

68keyblr

20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 17, 2003
946
20
49
Arizona
Jul 23, 2007
#10
  • Jul 23, 2007
  • #10
I've found that some pump nozzles work better than others, so I found one that works well at a particular gas station and always fill up there.
 

CanyonCarver515

Member
Jun 27, 2007
122
0
17
El Lay
Jul 23, 2007
#11
  • Jul 23, 2007
  • #11
Yes, filling my 67 Fastback is an artform too. I figured out the correct angle for most pumps by now. I have no advice for anyone though. You just have to fiddle and figure out for yourself.
 

Iamdiffrnt

Member
Nov 13, 2005
197
6
19
South of Detroit, MI
Jul 28, 2007
#12
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #12
I was thinking about cutting up a filler neck out of a late model and seeeing if I could get any thing to work, haven't got that far yet though.

Rusty, yours is worse than mine?
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Jul 28, 2007
#13
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #13
I doubt mine is WORSE then yers but it might be almost as bad. The thing that sucks is I have no where to tear the car down and no welding skills to fix it. Basically my car has terminal cancer because I don't have the time, place, money or skill to fix it. I'm thinking about buying another chasis and junking this one.
 

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Jul 28, 2007
#14
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #14
68blackv8 said:
what can i get to make filling up at the gas station in my 68 easier
Click to expand...

A higher paying job?
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Jul 28, 2007
#15
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #15
jerry S said:
A higher paying job?
Click to expand...

LOL.

That was kinda mean but still funny.
 

12sec67

Active Member
Oct 6, 2003
1,301
1
36
San Diego, Ca
Jul 28, 2007
#16
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #16
Rusty67 said:
My car hasn't been driven on the street in so long I've kinda forgot about this issue. I was thinking of junkyarding a late model fill neck, making an adaptor and leaving it in my trunk. I wonder if anyone else has done this...
Click to expand...



yeh i did a while back before i had a fuel cell.

the newer ford thunderbitds / crown vicks have fairly straight necks that will work but they also have a vent tube out the side of the neck. make sure you use (hook up ) that vent tube otherwise you will be smelling gas while your driving.
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Jul 28, 2007
#17
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #17
How did it work out ? Were you able to just stick it in, set the lock on the pump and walk away ?
 
6

68blackv8

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
34
0
0
Jul 28, 2007
#18
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #18
jerry S said:
A higher paying job?
Click to expand...

ummm its not a money issue

its the fact thatwhen i stick the nozzel in the filler neck gas tends to spill out so i have to do it slow. the only reason iwas asking was because my friend told me about an extender he kept in the trunk to make filling up easier nnot get gas everywhere.
 

Az Pete

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
711
18
49
Panama City, Fl.
Jul 28, 2007
#19
  • Jul 28, 2007
  • #19

I tried this route and it works great to fill up with. What I did was use an old filler neck, cut an oval hole in the original, and braze the mod on. I used a vented cap and sealed it with JB Weld to prevent fumes in the trunk. Could not find a non vented to fit the filler neck I had. Also, had to modify the rubber hose after making the filler neck a two piece or it would not be possible to install.

Now, the down side is the expansion when it is hot outside, allows the vapor to be trapped in the modified area and not vent out the original cap. This has caused fuel to be vented overboard from the original cap. Guess I need to run a vent tube out of the modified neck area and out of the trunk. I am also thinking of lowering the modified cap to sit right on the original filler neck instead of a couple inches up as it does.

Original cap still functions also.
 

Attachments

  • 100_9363.webp
    79.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_9362.webp
    89.3 KB · Views: 137
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

68 fuel gauge maxes out at half
  • connella08
  • Sep 5, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
343
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sep 8, 2025
connella08
Engine Coolant boiling in hose?
  • Teen'93stang5.0
  • Jun 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
274
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 8, 2026
Mustang5L5
3
Rear mounted battery distribution blocks?
  • 387lx
  • Mar 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
355
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 14, 2026
JD1964
2003 Mustang GT - Rear Tire Size Question
  • Cassiebaebae
  • Jun 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2 3 4
Replies
63
Views
2K
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
squeak93
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
576
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?