Final help for the center crash sensor and hatch light...

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hey guys. I am bringing my 2 ongoing questions into one place here.
I keep asking about there being a "Forward CENTER crash sensor" for the airbag. You guys post that, "yes, there is one".
OK, great, but WHERE does it mount? I cannot find any spot it can mount to...no bracket, no wiring, no space!
If someone has a photo could you please post it? At least an exact description of where your CENTER crash sensor is mounted. These 2 word responses..like, "yes, there is one", or "it's in the center"....they don't help.

The other problem is the darn hatch light. It used to come on when I opened the hatch, but now only when the doors are opened or through the master dimmer switch.
I asked if there is a mercury switch or press switch that turns it on and off while opening and closing the hatch. Again, the answers are "yes, there is a switch", or I think there is one"..
Anybody with a hatch...could you check and describe to me if there is an actual switch being used when opening and closing the hatch? Where is it? Pictures would be nice, but a good description will help.
Thanks to all of you for helping me out. I am sorry if some of this sounded a bit harsh, but I can't believe the amount of "post count" worthless responses that are posted around here. Hard to keep track of the helpful responses mixed into all of it.
Much appreciated,
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

I beleive it mounts right next to the hood latch. Pop your hood and look just next to it and you might see drilled holes for it

The hatch does not use a mercury switch. Only the hood light is a merc switch. The hatch works off an on-off push button switch like the doors. I beleive it's located near the hatch latch on the body. I cannot recall exactly but i think i remember seeing one there.

Here ya go

Black box next to latch secured with two green screws on top

193705.jpg

As for the hatch light, yes, there is a switch mounted on an aluminum bracket next to the latch post behind the interior plastic trim. It is pressed down by the "L" bracket on the right side of the hatch latch. On mine the bracket is occasionally bent due to me having to slam the hatch to close it, and therefore I just disconnected the wires from it so it does not work. Otherwise the lights stay on until I bend the bracket back into place. Maybe the switch went bad or the wiring is disconnected.

Hey guys. I am bringing my 2 ongoing questions into one place here.
I keep asking about there being a "Forward CENTER crash sensor" for the airbag. You guys post that, "yes, there is one".
OK, great, but WHERE does it mount? I cannot find any spot it can mount to...no bracket, no wiring, no space!
If someone has a photo could you please post it? At least an exact description of where your CENTER crash sensor is mounted. These 2 word responses..like, "yes, there is one", or "it's in the center"....they don't help.
What YEAR stang? And, is it a MUSTANG? Your year may not have one.
BTW: I have the ricer sigs turned off.

I may have the component location diagram for your year here:
For Mustang Air Bag info, see:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/

OK guys That was some GREAT help!
Yes, this is for the 92 GT Hatchback. Should have kept my 93 vert, that's for sure!

I guess the pictures explain why I have an airbag code 41 flashing...there is no center crash sensor, bracket, or anything on mine?! I don't even see any wiring for it? Unless the 92s for some odd reason didn't have a center sensor, it looks like I am going to be seeing that darn flashing airbag light for quite some time.

As for the rear hatch...humm, it worked fine up to a week ago, then wouldn't come on when opening the hatch this past week. I have looked, and darn if I can see ANY evidence of an L bracket, switch, wires, etc. This car is definitely a stepchild with a lot of scars. I will dig into the hatch a bit more tomorrow and see what I can find.
I just spent the evening pulling out the thermostat...found the kid or whoever had it...had put a 160* stat in there....along with bypassing the EGR coolant lines. I can only imagine what this car has gone through.
Looks like I have some more digging to do tomorrow.
Thanks again for the outstanding help and pictures...now that's awsome service guys!!!
Ken

Here's some more info about what i'm up against working on this car....
I replaced the thermostat and housing today. Of course I had to drain down the antifreeze, so I checked all the lines, overflow bottle...WAIT...where's the overflow bottle?
I found a gallon milk just that had the top cut off and was hanging in the left fender by a coathanger! A crusty old clear tube ran from the radiator down to the jug.
Yeah, the previous owner was a real winner............????:shrug: :shrug:

Why would someone rip off the crash sensors. You are supposed to have one on your car for sure.

Where the wiring is i do not know. I have an '88 so mine is airbag free. Maybe someone with a 90-93 can trace the wiring and tell you what harness it pokes out of.

Check to see if the left and right front crash sensors are there as well. In the above pic, they are the black boxes with white labels located where the headlights should be.

Good evening guys....long day out in the garage.
Yes, the left and right sensors are in place and wired up. This car has obviously been pieced together from who knows what. The front clip appears to be from another car...red paint showing through on this forest green car! The radiator support, inner fenders, all appear red underneath the spray can paint job. When we bought the car for our son we found out the airbag was just a hollow shell...airbag long gone! So far, the only piece of the puzzle I can find missing is that center sensor.
I would REALLY appreciate it if someone with a 89-93 could show/tell me where the center crash sensor's wires originate from. Where along, and from which wire bundle, does the center detector's wires come from?????
I have a single wire loom going across the front grill area but I don't see any connectors hidden along it. The wires COULD be hidden inside the split loom tube. Tell me where to look and I will start digging.
The hatch light switch is long gone so it will have to stay that way.
At least my radiator and new water neck didn't leak after I got it all back together! Flushed it all out, filled it up with the antifreeze and I have good cooling. No more 160* thermostat...poor thing probably never came out of open loop before!
Thanks again for the help.
Ken

I think I remember the info you need: center crash sensor and pass side front crash sensor joined into a common harness near the pass shock tower, the plug is behind the airbox in this picture I believe. If you look at the picture, the wire loom directly to the left of the airbox in this picture is one of the crash sensor wires, it's been a long time, so I'm not sure on exact details. I do remember for sure though, the crash sensor wires were not included in the main wire loom harness that goes along the top of the radiator, that is mostly the headlight wires. It is a seperate harness for sure. Hope this gives you a little help!

P9090009.jpg

Edit: After looking back at that picture, look for those two different WHITE plugs near the right side of the airbox. One at the top right of the photo, The other can be found sticking out from behind the air intake directly below it. Those are the two plugs for the pass side and center crash sensors, I remember that much!

Attachments

• P9090009.jpg
    P9090009.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 221
Thanks for all the great help guys. Saleen...that diagram helped a bunch. Matter of fact, while recovering all my wire looms, cleaning up the connectors, etc...I did come across an empty connector near the base of the passenger shock tower. I am sure that is the center crash connector's plug.
I rewired my complete 93 vert years ago, and I remember those plugs that were seperate going to my crash sensors, so I'm sure that's the one I'm after. Maybe I can find a center sensor somwhere and see if I can get that blasted blinking airbag light to go off?!
Thanks for all the help...much appreciated.
Ken

WWOOOO HOOOOO!
Airbag problem fixed!!!! Gathering up all the info you guys had posted, I went on the hunt for a center crash sensor. Our junkyard has very little, and only 2 4cyl wrecked stangs to pick parts from. I had looked them over carefully and was about to leave when I saw a black blob on the ground, underneath a cover of vines and cactus. I carefully dug out the box and found it had a wiring harness that snaked it's way up into the crushed right fender. Still plugged in! I fished it all out and knocked off a ton of dirt to find a label that said "Face Forward".. I knew what that meant. $20 and it was mine. Got home, cleaned it up, installed it, and now no more airbag light.
I was amazed to find it worked, but luck was with me that day.
Thanks for all the help and diagrams...they allowed me to fix the problem. I also saw the L bracket and switch for the hatch, but I wasn't going to try and tackle that demon.
Thanks again guys.
Ken