Finally got my Cobra brakes installed

DaveB

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Middlesex and Pomona, NJ
Wow, what a difference compared to my stockers with worn out front pads :nice: . Its great to be able to get hard on the brakes on the highway and not have the steering wheel move side to side :lol: . Overall its a tie up between these and my exhaust as to which is my favorite mod. They sure do look great filling up the wheels

268926_72_full.jpg

268926_76_full.jpg

If anyone is thinking about getting these brakes, get them, theyre a great deal at $399.

• Sponsors (?)

smokediver27 said:
Looks AWESOME , how hard was the install?????

Actually I had them installed, though I was planning to install them myself, as I hear they aren't too hard to install. My car was making a horrible noise from underhood (turned out to be the harmonic balancer hitting the waterpump :jaw: ) so it was going to my mechanic. So since it was going to be in the shop, I figured I'd just have my guy throw them on.

As for the wheel size fitament issue, Im almost postive that you need a 17" wheel to clear the calipers.

I got them from PPI for $399 and its the front brakes only. That includes everything you need to install them. I got the optional stainless steel lines. With PPI you can either get Cobra brakes (black caliper with "COBRA" on them) or Bullit brakes (red caliper with a running horse). I got the Cobras because I really dont care for painted calipers at all and wish I could have gotten the calipers without the "COBRA" on them, but for the price you can't go wrong. I would love to get the 00 Cobra R spec Brembos, but theres no way Im shelling out nearly $1k for front brakes alone.

I sooo need to do that soon. I think I'm gonna try and get the Bullitt ones, though. My stockers are so worn out that it getting sad. Good thing I don't drive it much at all, right now.

Looks good. Now you need some 13" rotors in the rear... Even my wife noted that after I did the fronts, the rears looked way to wimpy in the big wheels. Since you went with plain rotors, I think you can do the rears for under $200.

edited 'cause I can't spell...

How about...

We do not have a 13" kit for the rear but we do have an OEM Cobra or Bullitt 12" kit for the rear that matches the front kits in appearence. As with our front kits, the rear kits include all parts to perform the conversion on your 1994-2004 Mustang.

JFYI- the rear setup is nothing more than new brackets, cobra pads, and a larger rotor. It uses the same stock GT caliper. The new brackets just space the caliper out a bit from the axle allowing the use of the larger rotor. SS Brakes makes an aluminum direct replacement rear caliper that is avail in polished, anodized, and powdercoated and they retail for around $250/piece.

For those with 16" wheels, you alos have the option of doing what I did and that is to swap to 99-up V6 and GT front cailpers. They are aluminum PBR dual piston. They use the same size rotor, but the twin piston design is far better than the stock single setup, and they are about 5lbs lighter TOTAL for both than the stock irons ones fully dressed. I have ~$100 into mine and that is for the calipers, brackets, pads, and having my stock rotors turned (which I swore I'd never do but I needed to save some money for the time being). I hear the switch to SS braided brake lines make an vast improvement in pedal feel as well from others that are running the PBR setup.

They polish up nicely too!!!

mvc004s.jpg

We do include a few more parts than just the 12" Brembo rotors and a few brackets with our rear kits. While you can use your stock GT caliper in a home-built kit, we do include OE Cobra or Bullitt rear calipers to match the color finish of the front calipers in our 13" kits. We also include anti-moan brackets to quell the brake moan prevalent with rear brake kits and an upgraded set of brake pads over OE. Once again, we provide all the (new) parts to give the complete net result of a factory 13" front and/or 12" rear Cobra or Bullitt brake kit for under $400.00.

At the end of this summer, I'll be looking to get both Cobra front and rear brake kits. I'm borrowing a 2003 Mach1 for a couple months and I'm just as impressed with the brakes as I am with the DOHC under the hood. Compared to my stock brakes, the Mach1 (also using the Cobra setup) brakes are absolutely perfect for daily driving and perform 100% better.

I can't wait to do this mod, especially for safety reasons. I never thought I'd be able to upgrade 10 year old brakes to new Cobra brakes for $800. Glad to hear more positive comments about PPI and this specific brake kit.