Finally got my mustang back from the shop

JarvisB

Sep 17, 2010
Hi, just thought I'd share what is going on with my mustang sofar.

I finally just got my mustang home last Saturday after months of wait.

I will go into exact details later, but I can say I am very disappointed with how the project turned out. I paid 3,350 dollars in total and I got this. I was charged 1,800 for the paint job and the job is a complete joke. Mustang was dropped off at the shop on December 4th, 2010. I basically gave him 6 months. Hes supposed to paint it (showroom quality), do the MAF conversion, cobra brake conversion, install 3.73 gears, weld subframe, roll fenders to fit my deep dish bullitts

After 6 months of chasing him for pictures, updates,etc , I had to get cops involved. Then I was told that only thing I can do is file a civil suit against this shop. I decided to resolve it by just paying him the remaining balance for the car as is even though I dont think he deserves it.

He NEVER reconditioned the body, he only slapped a layer of flat black paint on top of the old paint (He ensured me it will be show room quality satin black) I wanted it to be satin black/matte black. The paint is horrible, he didnt do it right. Under the cowl hood it is completely white and it is obvious when we are in the car. Door jambs and engine bay are not painted. Overspray on my exhaust, He didnt paint underside of the back bumper, you can see old gray paint at edges. Also, the cowl hood got paint bubbles all over it. Paint color is not even all around, you can see the hood got a bit different shade of black. Overall, it still looks like a 20 year old car.

He only did the rear end, subframe over 6 months. I am willing to bet that he slapped the paint on the car right before I got the cops and take the car home. The cobra brakes are not done. He only put the cobra brakes on but did not hook up the lines. He had the nerve to wait 6 months to finally tell me that I needed the proper fittings to get the brakes done.

In the end, I think I am the one who got ripped off big time.

Here is my iphone pic for now. I will take pics with my DSLR to show all of the imperfections on this car. They will be posted once I take the pictures.

***the picture doesnt do it any justice, it looks good from here, but no way in hell you all would like this if you all could see it up close**
View attachment 186869

My plans for this car were shot with this job which took 3,350 out of my wallet without making it look that much better in 6 months. As of now, my plan is just to finish the brakes and align it so I can play with it. Then I will get to the MAF conversion eventually and hopefully someday I will save up enough money to pay another painter to do my car. I decided to sell my deep dish bullitts and keep those 04 cobra wheels. I will have them powdercoated gloss black.

MARTIN'S AUTOBODY IS THE NAME OF SHOP. LOCATED IN CHAMBERSBURG, PA AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO GO THERE.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys.

I still cant believe how can someone rip other off this bad? I mean I was willing to pay for his labor. Basically if he was doing good I would pay more. Damn those people...

I will make the best out of it. I am sure I will still enjoy the car despite the bad paint job.

Actually I am looking forward to make it driveable. I miss driving a 5 speed manual. I have been stuck with my 04 explorer and my GSXR 600

You should file a breach of contract claim against them in small claims court. One of these Magistrates will have jurisdiction over Martin's but you should call to find out first. Then, just go down and fill out and file a complaint.

Cumberland County (09)
District Court: 09-2-02
Jessica E. Brewbaker
18 North Hanover Street, Suite 106
Carlisle, PA 17013
Phone: 717-240-6564
Fax: 717-240-7821

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cumberland County (09)
District Court: 09-2-01
Paula P. Correal
2260 Spring Road, Suite 3
Carlisle, PA 17013
Phone: 717-218-5250
Fax: 717-218-5253

Im sorry but 1,800 is nothing for a paint job. That barely covers the cost just in materials for good paint! I mean its really sucks that he didnt do what he said he would do but in the end you get what you pay for. My shop charges about three days labor to install that brake conversion kit and at $85 an hour you can see how the costs add up. 4-6 hours for subframes and 4-6 for a rear install including the initial break in drive and such. As for a paint job, we can put easily 150-250 hours in a car painting it. So again, it sucks he promised alot but in the end you get what you pay for.

Im sorry but 1,800 is nothing for a paint job. That barely covers the cost just in materials for good paint! I mean its really sucks that he didnt do what he said he would do but in the end you get what you pay for. My shop charges about three days labor to install that brake conversion kit and at $85 an hour you can see how the costs add up. 4-6 hours for subframes and 4-6 for a rear install including the initial break in drive and such. As for a paint job, we can put easily 150-250 hours in a car painting it. So again, it sucks he promised alot but in the end you get what you pay for.

I don't the what he paid matters,, You should get what was agreed upon.
Dosen't matter if it was $3,800 or $38,000.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Id do what you can to get your money back, but in all honesty, it sounds like you went to a half ass shop. Definitely go where a good reputation has already been established for this exact reason. I would have been concerned with anyone willing to paint a car for less than 2k (flat color paint may be cheaper but the body work involved is the same). I hope all works out well for you, but definitely remember this next time you deal with a shop.

I had a horrible experience with a painter on my last car, so this time i was real nervous about having my coupe done. The guy who did it has a great reputation and ive seen about 20 cars he has done so i knew he was capable. He had the car for 15 months, which did suck but in the end he went the extra mile to make it how i wanted so i look at it like, better late and done right than rushed and half assed. It pays to do your homework on people, even reputable performance shops have screwed people over. Just let the work speak for itself and post pics everywhere.

This is why I do EVERYTHING myself, and lately I've even been planning different ways to paint the car myself. Sorry that all happened to you, but I'm telling you man, the old adage is true: If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

I had a horrible experience with a painter on my last car, so this time i was real nervous about having my coupe done. The guy who did it has a great reputation and ive seen about 20 cars he has done so i knew he was capable. He had the car for 15 months, which did suck but in the end he went the extra mile to make it how i wanted so i look at it like, better late and done right than rushed and half assed. It pays to do your homework on people, even reputable performance shops have screwed people over. Just let the work speak for itself and post pics everywhere.

Man, your paint did turn out fantastic, but IMO, 15 months is unacceptable. I couldn't go 15 months without driving my car, even worse if it's sitting in someone else's shop.

Man, your paint did turn out fantastic, but IMO, 15 months is unacceptable. I couldn't go 15 months without driving my car, even worse if it's sitting in someone else's shop.

Yeah screw that. That is why I painted the engine bay and hood on my 70 myself. 80% of the stories I hear about body shops end up like the OP's story. It is really difficult to find a shop who will do a decent job in a reasonable time frame.

I used to work at a shop that did nothing but frame-off restorations of exotic or expensive cars. It was no big deal to have a car that long. It just depends on what's being done, and how much prep has to be done. The guy I worked for was really good and customers were willing to wait. :)

If i had paid straight up cash like you did, i would think the same but i worked out a trade deal with my old Merkur so i don't mind the time so much. It'll be like a new car when i get it back...i haven't drove anything with that much power since i dropped it off so it's gonna feel like driving a time machine :lol:

Sometimes paint jobs take that long, especially if its a full complete jambs an everything job! Every car is different.

Yeah, what i thought were pretty straight and decent doors on my car turned out to be complete crap. I guess i just never got down at ground level and looked down the side of them to see all the hundreds of dings and ripples in them. It takes time to make a car straight. The good part was i did have some rust scabs but he said it was all surface, none of it had gone all the way through except on the trunk lid.

I've obviously never painted a car myself, and I understand that it can be very labor intensive. However, I have a question for those of you who are familiar with painting cars: If it was your full time job, 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, and you had full access to a shop with all the professional equipment you need to paint, how long would it realistically take to do ONE car, assuming that one car was your only task? I'm talking just paint, not restoration. If I had to guess, it's not 15 months. I used to hang with a guy that did show-quality paint jobs in his garage as a SIDE job, and most of his cars took about 3 months. These cars were droooool worthy, too.

I'm not saying you got screwed, 85_SS_302_Coupe, and obviously, if you're happy with it, I guess it doesn't matter how long it took. Just, if it were MY car, no way in hell would I be a happy camper if my painter had it in his shop for almost a year and a half! :p