Finally Got To Drive A '16 Gt

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Knox, KY
I must say, this car is really well put together. I'm a long-time resident of the foxbody forums, and while it's unlikely that anything will take the place of the fox in my heart, after a week driving one I can definitely see an S550 in my future.

The car I drove had the performance package, 3.73s, a Corsa catback system, and aftermarket springs that I'd guess are lowered and stiffer than stock. All of my dozens of cars have been manuals since I learned to drive. My fox has a custom T56, I also owned a T56 Corvette. I mention that just to say that I have never felt a shifter as nice as the one in the S550. Shifts are like butter, and it's effectively as short a throw as any I've had. I really love the way that 6 speed feels.

The brembo brakes are super touchy, and I still haven't quite adjusted to the light touch they need in parking lots where they need only a fraction of the pressure and travel I'm used to. However, I found them excellent in spirited driving, and though I made a couple panic stops to feel how well the car stops, I never put the kind of heat in them needed to test fade. I noticed it took far more pedal effort to engage the rear ABS. An adjustable proportioning valve would probably be a nice modification for those that like to track the car.

In the cold weather, 40s and 50s, the pirellis acted like, well... summer performance tires. I never really trusted them, and the car could break them free with ease in 2nd and occassionally in 3rd just from matting the throttle. I had to be careful throttling out of a corner, as the rear snapped out very quickly. Still, in oversteer the chassis reacted predictably to my inputs and was easy to recover on any traction control setting. I'd like another chance to reassess the pirellis in warmer weather.

The seats are awesome, and surprisingly tight. I'm not sure if they're recaros or what, but they had amazing side support, lumbar and at 6'3, I was surpised that I did not actually prefer the seat as far back as it could go in its tracks. That’s a first for any sports car for me.

The rest of the interior is phenominal in comparison to my foxes or the old corvette I owned. Love the materials and design, though I could do with a few less buttons on the steering wheel.

Performance-wise, on a privately owned farm road, I dispatched an older Camaro ZL1 that made 580 stock, because the fellow couldn't drive and didn't have enough car to run me down. I suspect traction favored the lower powered mustang in the colder weather. During an easy going track day session, the car also pulled very strongly through the top of 5th at around 152-153ish mph. 6th drops the RPM too far, but is clearly intended for fuel economy. Nevertheless the car still pulled to around 160ish before I reached the braking point for the next corner. I'd say the car would make 170, no problem, but I read there's a limiter at 164. It was steady as a rock at any speed. The hood dances a little, though. I suppose that's an indication of some underhood air pressure building up those speeds.

All in all, I like the S550 enough that it is the first Mustang that I've considered buying since the fox. They really did this car right!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I must say, this car is really well put together. I'm a long-time resident of the foxbody forums, and while it's unlikely that anything will take the place of the fox in my heart, after a week driving one I can definitely see an S550 in my future.

The car I drove had the performance package, 3.73s, a Corsa catback system, and aftermarket springs that I'd guess are lowered and stiffer than stock. All of my dozens of cars have been manuals since I learned to drive. My fox has a custom T56, I also owned a T56 Corvette. I mention that just to say that I have never felt a shifter as nice as the one in the S550. Shifts are like butter, and it's effectively as short a throw as any I've had. I really love the way that 6 speed feels.

The brembo brakes are super touchy, and I still haven't quite adjusted to the light touch they need in parking lots where they need only a fraction of the pressure and travel I'm used to. However, I found them excellent in spirited driving, and though I made a couple panic stops to feel how well the car stops, I never put the kind of heat in them needed to test fade. I noticed it took far more pedal effort to engage the rear ABS. An adjustable proportioning valve would probably be a nice modification for those that like to track the car.

In the cold weather, 40s and 50s, the pirellis acted like, well... summer performance tires. I never really trusted them, and the car could break them free with ease in 2nd and occassionally in 3rd just from matting the throttle. I had to be careful throttling out of a corner, as the rear snapped out very quickly. Still, in oversteer the chassis reacted predictably to my inputs and was easy to recover on any traction control setting. I'd like another chance to reassess the pirellis in warmer weather.

The seats are awesome, and surprisingly tight. I'm not sure if they're recaros or what, but they had amazing side support, lumbar and at 6'3, I was surpised that I did not actually prefer the seat as far back as it could go in its tracks. That’s a first for any sports car for me.

The rest of the interior is phenominal in comparison to my foxes or the old corvette I owned. Love the materials and design, though I could do with a few less buttons on the steering wheel.

Performance-wise, on a privately owned farm road, I dispatched an older Camaro ZL1 that made 580 stock, because the fellow couldn't drive and didn't have enough car to run me down. I suspect traction favored the lower powered mustang in the colder weather. During an easy going track day session, the car also pulled very strongly through the top of 5th at around 152-153ish mph. 6th drops the RPM too far, but is clearly intended for fuel economy. Nevertheless the car still pulled to around 160ish before I reached the braking point for the next corner. I'd say the car would make 170, no problem, but I read there's a limiter at 164. It was steady as a rock at any speed. The hood dances a little, though. I suppose that's an indication of some underhood air pressure building up those speeds.

All in all, I like the S550 enough that it is the first Mustang that I've considered buying since the fox. They really did this car right!

I agree. These cars are GREAT! I too have only owned Foxbody's. Back in September I bought a '15 GT Premium for my new daily driver. Its not a performance package car but the comfort and performance is amazing. It has optional 3.55's and really moves! Even the non PP GT's come with huge 14" front rotors and huge calipers and stop great!. I can't imagine how the PP Brembo's feel.
So far the only mod that I have done to mine is Roush axle backs. Sounds amazing.

Well. here's what I bought.
IMG_20171024_203722.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nice write up...you pretty much nailed it. I been reading and looking for 2 yrs for a good deal on a one used and nothing seemed to come along. This November I said screw it and had the local Ford dealer find me a new 2017 PP, 6 spd in Black. I still have my 95 but this car is light years ahead of that. Hated putting it away for Winter.

I'm with you on the s550's. They're the first new mustang I've actually considered owning in quite a few years. Didn't like the later year SN95's and all S197's. These s550's are a really nice, well built car. I just can't convince the wife to make one her daily driver as I have no other reason to buy one. Like Noobz, I'd love to have/track a gt350r or even just a gt350, but that's even more unpractical........damn conscience.

Reactions: 1 user
I love the new 15's. The practical reality remains that I can't easily put a baby seat and toddlers in the back seat on the days I'm stuck with daycare dropoff so I unfortunately must stay with a sedan.

But until then, I'm glad to see they keep getting better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yea... 3 wont fit in the back.... 2 will :nice: and if you have one big enough for a booster seat, put them in the front and it will turn the airbag off on that side.

Yes, nice job on the write-up. I am currently considering buying a "toy" toward the end of '18, and the Mustang GT is on the short-list. Your review helps me with some aspects that I, err, may not be able to evaluate during a test drive!

In the cold weather, 40s and 50s, the pirellis acted like, well... summer performance tires. I never really trusted them, and the car could break them free with ease in 2nd and occassionally in 3rd just from matting the throttle.

This doesn't change in the summer. The Pirellis leave a lot to be desired on the S550s. They were fine on the old 4.6L S197s, but the Coyote S550s just break them loose almost at will.