Finally pulled out my Centerforce Dual Friction..... need advice

....and the disk is right at the minimal wear limit. 4 launches on slicks is all it took to completely take out the clutch ( 1 day at the track ). I really have no clue how it did this as my previous King Cobra never skipped a beat. I think i'm going to go with another King Cobra but 26-spline and see if the same thing happens. This will confirm to myself that Centerforce dual friction clutches are garbage and I wasted $400 on this setup.

Has anyone else had this problem at the track on slicks with the dual friction?

Anyone think Promotionpowertrain.com is the right place to go?

:(

• Sponsors (?)

I had the exact same problem as you, after talking with centerforce tehy said that the clutch was only good to 6500RPM after that teh weights actually release the clutch allowing it to slip. I had never heard that before and since I had a 7000rpm motor, that explained the problem. They actually refunded my $400 but have not got my business back. I ended up changing to a stock clutch (the only one I could find in the swap meet) and raced the car the next day with the strret tires and then drove it home 400 miles.

I now have a King Cobra and love it, never had a problem with it. By the way this all happened 10 years ago, I had hoped it was not still a problem.

I lost a total of .065" of disk thickness (from brand new to now) which inturn caused my clutch pedal to be completely out of adjustment even with my firewall adjuster and adjustable cable (not the mention the clutch fork only has 3/4" of free play between the bellhousing opening and the fingers on the pressure plate).

Here's the Best Part

There is still a good amount of clutch material left on the disk yet I cannot adjust my clutch pedal to be able to use this material which leaves me to believe the wearing of the clutch disk itself could not account for the 3" of pedal travel that I had lost over 4 runs at the track. I'm gonna check my pivot ball stud length to make sure thats in check and than talk to centerforce and see how this situation is even possible.

Can anyone else give me some input on what I should look for? I can post pics of anything you guys want or need.

two centerforce dual friction clutches later I found its time to switch. Walt at pro-motion suggested a McLeod dual friction for my 500rwhp combo I'll let you know the outcome as soon as the chicago weather turns for the better. The second centerforce didn't last long at all and it was junk even after good break in like they suggest. They suggest a 500 mile breakin.It would take me half the summer to break the clutch in according to their instructions.

Thank you for everyones .02! I feel a little better!

I remember Centerforce telling me once that if I slipped the clutch out of the hole that I would wear it out fast. Now with my King Cobra I had a stock driveline = i slipped the crap out of it to not break parts and never had it wear 1mm. Now with a built driveline and this clutch, I just let the clutch up a lot quicker yet at the same rpm as with my KC and 4 passes later I was lucky to get my car home from the track safely with 0 adjustment left in my clutch setup.

I'm pretty confident I have a good amount of ammo for Centerforce on this one...:uzi:

mikemustang289 said:
Wow, this is great to hear, Just after I ask everyone for advice on what clutch to run and everyone recommends The Centerforce DF. Now I have one waiting to go on the engine I'm building and wondering if I should run it.

I know, this was the reason I got mine in the first place. LaRocca's Performance also recommended this clutch to me for my application...:crazy:

I guess it must just depend on the power level, the only way I can see a clutch wearing out that fast is if it is slipping because it doesn't have enough clamping force.

My motor should make around 430hp at the flywheel, but as far as torque goes it will only be upwards of 350ft-lbs. The last thing I want to be doing is pulling this disk out after one night at the track, that's just rediculous. To top it off I just got everything back from balance so the CF PP is balanced to the assembly.

Anyone know if the Mcleod disk will interchange with this Pressure plate?

I asked about spec clutches and everyone told me they were too hard on the drivetrain.

thegabrielles said:
I now have a King Cobra and love it, never had a problem with it. By the way this all happened 10 years ago, I had hoped it was not still a problem.

Ok, this is somewhat odd.

I have a new king cobra clutch that came with my shortblock so I set my Centerfore cluth side by side with the king cobra

These two assemblies use the same Pressure Plate. Centerforce uses The exact same pressure plate as the King cobra, both are stamped Valeo and they have the identical part numbers stamped in them. Side by side they are the same except for the centerforce orange paint and special weights

So I have answered my own question, I could swap in a Mcleod clutch with the centerforce PP.

Centerforce advertises their clutch to be up to 90% stronger than OEM. The King cobra is advertised as 40% stronger. The additional clamping force is thus due solely to their weight system.

As far as the disks go, I'm at a loss. I don't know why the centerforce would not handle more power than the king cobra.

The only reason the Mcleod disk would be recommended over the center force, would be because of it's design. They both share the dual friction design, but one might be better than the other as far as how it is assembled.

The only other reason why I can see that the King Cobra is working in your case is because of the weight system issue since both clutch assemblies use the same pressue plate.

It's either that or Centerforce just makes a real lousy disk, which is hard to imagine since they are such a well known company.

I shift at 6000 and my setup will see some 4k launches on slicks at the track. I'm just wondering why a Mcleod disk is preferred if they both use the same PP. If anything, the Mcleod disk should give up sooner because the King Cobra PP it can be used with doesn't have the additional clamping force provided by the weights

Mikemustang, I too shift at 6,000rpms and do 4k launches at the track and have these symptoms.

Centerforce even told me their clutch is good to 550lb/ft-tq and I'm 160lb/ft-tq shy of that and still wore the sucker out in 4 runs.

Where's a built C-4 tranny when you need one....

mikemustang289 said:
I guess it must just depend on the power level, the only way I can see a clutch wearing out that fast is if it is slipping because it doesn't have enough clamping force.

I even ran my best time on my 4th run with a 12.2 @ 114 with a 1.70 60' on a 4,000rpm launch bogging out of the hole. I can't even imagine my clutch slipping that much and still run as good as it did.

Paul S. said:
two centerforce dual friction clutches later I found its time to switch. Walt at pro-motion suggested a McLeod dual friction for my 500rwhp combo I'll let you know the outcome as soon as the chicago weather turns for the better. The second centerforce didn't last long at all and it was junk even after good break in like they suggest. They suggest a 500 mile breakin.It would take me half the summer to break the clutch in according to their instructions.

I'm running the McLeod dual friction as well, along with a King Cobra PP. Got mine from D&D Performance. I'm happy with it so far, but it hasn't been to the track.

i second the spec clutches....i just installed my stage II and it has the most precise pedal feel i have even seeen with a cable style clutch. And it grips like crazy!!! People say they are excessively hard on the drivetrain but i have not experienced any harshness or chatter or anything of the like. I have also heard spec clutches have great longevity too!

ninety15.0 said:
i second the spec clutches....i just installed my stage II and it has the most precise pedal feel i have even seeen with a cable style clutch. And it grips like crazy!!! People say they are excessively hard on the drivetrain but i have not experienced any harshness or chatter or anything of the like. I have also heard spec clutches have great longevity too!

I'll look into those. Maybe the Spec 2+ I have heard good things about. I just want a clutch that will hold up on launches at the track. It seems to me the Centerforce Dual Friction is more oriented towards street cars and can't take 4k launches on slicks at the track with 400rwhp.