finding fusible link on '98 GT

dochawk

Apr 12, 2023
I'm trying to find the fusible link between the alternator and battery on my '98 GT.

My searching seems to suggest that it should be either far up front or near the firewall by the fender on the driver's side.

I've already replaced the 50A MIDI fuse near the fusebox.

It seems like the '98 is the red headed stepchild in *so* many ways, with constant one-year differences shared with neither -97 and 9+ . . .

I have over 15v at the alternator, but the system continues running off the battery.

And my battery indicator is on on the dash, even with a fully charged battery.

thanks

hawk

• Sponsors (?)

Try this and let me know how accurate or not accurate it is:

The fusible link on a 1998 Mustang GT is located in the engine compartment, under the hood, on the driver's side, near the battery. It is a small, black box with a metal cover. The fusible link is connected to a number of wires that carry power to various electrical components in the car. If one of these wires shorts out, the fusible link will melt and break the circuit, preventing the short from causing damage to the car's electrical system.

To access the fusible link, open the hood of the car and locate the small, black box with a metal cover on the driver's side, near the battery. The fusible link is located inside the box. To replace the fusible link, simply remove the old one and install a new one of the same amperage rating.

The following are the steps on how to replace the fusible link on a 1998 Mustang GT:

1. Open the hood of the car.
  2. Locate the fusible link box on the driver's side, near the battery.
  3. Remove the cover of the fusible link box.
  4. Identify the blown fusible link.
  5. Use a pair of pliers to remove the blown fusible link.
  6. Install a new fusible link of the same amperage rating.
  7. Replace the cover of the fusible link box.
  8. Close the hood of the car.
It is important to note that the fusible link is a safety device and should only be replaced if it is blown. If you are not sure if the fusible link is blown, it is best to consult a qualified mechanic.

I'm not finding a metal box . . . but I suspect that this (yellow) may have been covered and it's in the correct position:

link_search.jpg

I can't find anything else in the general vicinity of the battery, although I notice a change in diameter of this (green) going into the fuse box (from the alternator?

The cable with the yellow arrow goes to the front of the fuse in the prior picture, and there is a hard plastic sliding cover over this bolt (blue) on the side of the fusebox.

diam_drop.jpg

Also, after replaced the fuse yesterday, it was battery voltage on both sides of the fuse weven with the engine running.

to be clear: the one circled in yellow, not the part in orange?>

Thank you.

Although I suppose this means that I need to pull the alternator to get at the voltage regulator . . .

A fusible link is just a smaller wire designed to burn up before the main one does. Essentially what the inside of a fuse does, only a bit bigger. In this case, the two smaller wires that split off the alternator output at the main fuse box are the fusible links. That other fuse you've found was added after the fact (I'm assuming an amp).