finished the t-5 swap and...

Mar 31, 2005
yes, i finally did finish the aod-e to t-5 swap, and i reallt cant emphasize the difference in power that so many other people have mentioned beofre, it truly is amazing. it has actually been completed for over a week now, but 200 miles later, and a lot of hours at work, i just finished up with final touches such as new pedal covers and a new boot to replace that crappy ones given to me from the junkyard. the only real question i have, is how much transmission noise can you t-5'ers hear in the cab? first through third gears, you can hear a little bit of gear whine ( slight) and i really dont mind this. however, in 3rd 4th, and especially 5th gear, you can hear a noise that sounds quite airy (and is quite loud so much so thta i can hear it despite a very loud exhaust and windows down. the noise will actually go awaqy as soon as you push the clutch in while you are rolling.the transmission is a rebuild directly for a 94-95, and i believe the only real thing not stock about it is the steel t/o bearing retainer. the setup is completed with a brand new stock replacement ford racing flywheel, and King Cobra clutch, with a pro 5.0 shifter and steeda tri-ax handle. please tell me how much (if any) noise you get inside your cars from the trans, and what the possible causes might be for this noise. by the way, when filling the transmission, we filled it from the shifter opening up until it was about 1/4" below the fill plug opening. thanks, Kyle p.s., thanks go out to all who helped me with research, parts matching, and encouragement to attempt this by myself, it was well worth my efforts.

• Sponsors (?)

droptopford 5 0 said:
yes, i finally did finish the aod-e to t-5 swap, and i reallt cant emphasize the difference in power that so many other people have mentioned beofre, it truly is amazing. it has actually been completed for over a week now, but 200 miles later, and a lot of hours at work, i just finished up with final touches such as new pedal covers and a new boot to replace that crappy ones given to me from the junkyard. the only real question i have, is how much transmission noise can you t-5'ers hear in the cab? first through third gears, you can hear a little bit of gear whine ( slight) and i really dont mind this. however, in 3rd 4th, and especially 5th gear, you can hear a noise that sounds quite airy (and is quite loud so much so thta i can hear it despite a very loud exhaust and windows down. the noise will actually go awaqy as soon as you push the clutch in while you are rolling.the transmission is a rebuild directly for a 94-95, and i believe the only real thing not stock about it is the steel t/o bearing retainer. the setup is completed with a brand new stock replacement ford racing flywheel, and King Cobra clutch, with a pro 5.0 shifter and steeda tri-ax handle. please tell me how much (if any) noise you get inside your cars from the trans, and what the possible causes might be for this noise. by the way, when filling the transmission, we filled it from the shifter opening up until it was about 1/4" below the fill plug opening. thanks, Kyle p.s., thanks go out to all who helped me with research, parts matching, and encouragement to attempt this by myself, it was well worth my efforts.

To get rid of the noise, you might want to add a bit of preload to your clutch. This is a common problem is fairly easily fixed. Search the tech forum as this topic has been covered in depth numerous times.

FYI, I experience zero transmission noise.

Adam

to answer a few questions and comment on a few responses... yes, i have gears, they just happen to be stock 2.73 (or 2.83's) i forget... they feel a lot better with the different 1st gear ratio compared to the aod-e, but even so, i dont think i will take my car to the strip unless i can afford 3.73's and maybe an intake first... theres no need to run nearly stock times, right? we all know what these cars do stock,,, and those numbers wont old up to my buddy's s/c 90 lx or the 04 mach, so i'd need to hold my own a little at least. anyways, yes i had to cut a hole in my trans tunnel to accomodate the shifter opening on the t-5. i needed to notch out about 3/4 deep, across the entire front portion of the trans tunnel hole to get it to clear. the only other modification needed was that i did a 180 with the crossmember wince the slots were maxed out in adjustment when trying to bolt up to the t-5 (i used the same crossmember) this meant that my h- pipe exhaust hanger was a little far from ligning up again, which happened to be ok since im running an offroad pipe thats much lighter than stock. any more questions, let me know... im very busy at work lately so im not on as much as id like, but ill try to help ya as best as i can, thanks, Kyle
edit: i dont know why u asked, maybe u were just suggesting possible problems, but either way im not taking it down, that was too much effort to erase, haha

Don't know about a swap like yours, but a stock stick with an aftermarket shifter can be quite noisy. That's why I like my MGW shifter. It's actually quieter than stock. You could try a rubber isolator on your Steeda shifter (I think that's whay you had in sig). And make sure you put a good bead of RVT around the tranny before you mounted the shifter - that can make a big difference.

Do you have any vibration with the noise?Also when doing a swapp the crossmember should bolt back in the correct way.It has a slope on it and if not bolted up correctly the trans will not be lined up properly causeing noise & vibration mostly a high speeds.

GRGT1994 said:
Don't know about a swap like yours, but a stock stick with an aftermarket shifter can be quite noisy. That's why I like my MGW shifter. It's actually quieter than stock. You could try a rubber isolator on your Steeda shifter (I think that's whay you had in sig). And make sure you put a good bead of RVT around the tranny before you mounted the shifter - that can make a big difference.
i actually did put on a good seal around the shifter before installing it, and i also backed the pro 5.0 shifter stops way back so i could put the stock rubber mounted shifter back on and no luck, it helped a little bit, but it was far from silent
it seems as though 5th gear makes the most noticeable noise, with every gear making less and less noise... this is throwing me off a little bit. also, as far as the crossmember goes, ive heard of many guys flipping it to fit other transmissions, how is this possible... and also, how would it make much difference since it is rubber mounted to the trans and the crossmember, things move around plenty, and also, the driveshaft has movement with the suspension, so it should not be a probalme i thought. also, u said that speed might cause me problems, it is more so that each gear causes the problem, 5th gear is the noisiest regardless of speed, (i.e. 40 mph in 5th is louder than 40 mph in 4th) plus ive taken it to about 80 and theres no vib aside from this noise, any thoughts, the noise will go away with the trans in neutral, or the clutch pushed in. thanks, kyle

GreenMustangGt said:
i heard the same thing about flipping the crossmember...i bet that is your problem
im not ruling out the possibility, but why would it only make noise in the higher gears if it was an alignment issue, plus, if i push the clutch in, and just coast, the d/s and output shaft are still turning, and it doesnt make then noise... everything else is lined up with the flywheel and engine, so how could the angle be off?? i would love trying to just flip it, but i dont want to have to grind open the slots in the crossmember to make it fit... i would think that that might jeopardize its strength, and also, if the slots go any further forward, the nuts holding it to the transmission get jammed against the crossmember wall structure. any thoughts, and why wouldnt my crossmember fit the way it should? all the parts are for a 1994, and i kept the auto xmember which i was told is the same for both auto, and t-5. thanks, Kyle

all you t-5 swap guys, how tight of a fit was the crossmember when installing it?? if it was REALLY tight, then maybe i just need to bite the bullet and install it the right way, it just made no sense to me that something that should not be so tight would fit that way, i figured, i'd be better off to get some more clearence by flipping it... yet again, ill refer to my last post, if i dont get any vib, and the noise is gear related, instead of rpm or speed related, how could the xmember affect my problem? plus, if i dont experience any vib, or increased noise with speed (independant from gear) is there really any problem with leaving the xmember the way it is?

The crossmember may not be THE problem.But definately is a problem that should be fixed.Regardless of what is happening with the noise the trans is not lined up correctly becuse of the slope on the crossmember.Best bet is to install it correctly then see what happens with the noise.