Finned vs Smooth drums

dubbsix

Oct 18, 2006
Katy,TX
Is there any issues with using the Finned rear drum instead of the smooth rear drum normally found on the autos?

I have an auto 89 LX, but i havent been able to find the smooth rear drum.. only the finned drum thats suposedly for the manual cars.

Any help guys?

• Sponsors (?)

What's the thinking with the smooth-for-autos vs finned-for-manuals? I'd expect an auto (for as little as rears are used) to generate more heat (due to increased braking) since the car wants to keep driving forward while slowing.

What's the scoop?

MustangLX-5.0 said:
Speaking of drums...are there any high performance alternatives to standard drums? Aside of the costly disc brake conversion...maybe better quality drums/brake shoes? Is there anyplace that sells ceramic shoes?

Maximum Motorsports (www.maximummotorsports.com) makes a brake upgrade kit for Foxes. It includes SS brake hoses, Hawk front pads, MM high performance shoes and SS front caliper sleeves. You can find it in the brake upgrades department.

dubbsix said:
Wow.. Well i thought ford just wanted to make our lives interesting :p

Good thing i can use the finned ones. Everyone else in CA wants about 60 bucks each for the smooth one.

wow...maybe i should sell the smooth ones since they are 4-lug, and in good cond.... If they have that sort of value

'79 Mustangs came with Aluminum drums with steel liners. Good luck finding a pair of those. I'd sandblast em down and put them on the shelf next to my other antiques :)

Hoestly, i don't know what upgrades there are for rear drums Brakes. I *think* you can upgrade the 9" rear drums to the 10" drums found on rangers with 8.8" rears. I am not sure though. My extent of drum brake knowledge was taking my factory drums off, and tossing them in the trash when i installed rear disks :)