firewall adjuster... can someone explain??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
hey i am new to this whole 5 speed ****, just got the t5 in, missing the black piece by the firewall. I think i am going to get the adjustable firewall piece.

What is it exactly and how is it adjustable?
Will it allow adjustment on the stock clutch cable???

Can someone give me the low down on these things??

• Sponsors (?)

The adjuster acts like an expandible section of clutch cable housing. If you screw it out it makes your clutch cable housing longer and vice versa. Yes it will allow adjustment of the stock cable. It's like the cable adjusters on a 10 speed bicycle.

The FWA allows you to adjust the set-up on a sytem with an oem (non adjustable) cable and an aftermarket quadrant. The adjustment on a stock set up comes from the stock quadrant and pawl, so the FWA and aftermarket quad go hand-in-hand.

It is a sleeve that allows one to pull back on the sheath to modulate the cable's length and ergo adjustment.

Good luck.

onefstsnake said:
So if I bought the FWA I would need an adjustable quadrant?

My clutch/clutch cable makes a whinning noise when im at a stop. Slightly depress the clutch and it goes away.

I would like to just buy the FWA.
Sorry if I mislead you. Because the adjustment in the cable comes from the stock quadrant, if an aftermarket quadrant is installed, a FWA is needed for the stock cable adjustments.

You can certainly use a FWA with the stock quadrant. You will have two points of adjustment and you will also be half-way ready when the stock quadrant fails.

The noise you hear is likely the TOB and you are right - dialing in a slight amount of preload helps often times with that. YOu have tried pulling up on the clutch pedal already, right? That is how to adjust the stock quadrant/pawl assembly.

Good luck.

so i should have no problems using the FWA with my stock quadrant and cable? Will it allow me any adjustment whatsoever?

whats happening now is...
there is that yellow piece, i am missing the black spacer
So when i press the clutch, there is about 1.5 inches of slack, where the pedals is real easy, then it will start pulling the cable.

I am guessing its just moving the cover of the cable around, since its not mounted to anything.

HISSIN50 said:
The noise you hear is likely the TOB and you are right - dialing in a slight amount of preload helps often times with that. YOu have tried pulling up on the clutch pedal already, right? That is how to adjust the stock quadrant/pawl assembly.

Good luck.

Yea pulling on it just changes the pitch of the whine...

Which FWA should I pick up?

Thanks

onefstsnake said:
Yea pulling on it just changes the pitch of the whine...

Which FWA should I pick up?

Thanks
I went with a UPR extreme. However, if money had not been its usual tightness, I would have used the Fiore piece (in my research, the best product on the market, hands down). They go for a little under 50 bucks.

Good luck.

Foxfan88 said:
so i should have no problems using the FWA with my stock quadrant and cable? Will it allow me any adjustment whatsoever?

whats happening now is...
there is that yellow piece, i am missing the black spacer
So when i press the clutch, there is about 1.5 inches of slack, where the pedals is real easy, then it will start pulling the cable.

I am guessing its just moving the cover of the cable around, since its not mounted to anything.
Where is the yellow piece (I dont recall one. I am wondering if it is something that yellowed).

All I can think of is the grommet at the firewall (the grommet is for the clutch cable). If it were missing, there would be slack. If you are missing that, it sounds like someone had a FWA before, as that piece is what gets removed for the FWA.

A FWA should take care of it, though were I you and messing with it all anyhow, I would atleast put a quadrant in, unless yours is new. It is a matter of time before the teeth strip and you lose actuation. The cool thing is that a new quad can be had for about 20 bucks (some less, some more). So not a big cash outlay.

A new OEM cable for 50 shipped is also always cool, but doubles the cost outlay.

Good luck.

I wouldn't advise using a fwa without a new alum quadrant. that old piece will flex, gears will strip, and you'll have a hell of a time keeping the adjustment.

I've used the upr stuff in the past. Not great stuff, but it works. However, that damn company is a bunch of rip off's, and stole fior'es quadrant design, literally.

I would suggest fiore, max motorsports, and steeda pretty much in that order.