First car 86 T-Top 4 eye

I'm including the Mustang parking brake pages from the 1986 Shop Manual to show you what the mechanism looks like and how the cables are routed. Obviously you'll need different cables to the rear wheels, along with the necessary brackets for your rear discs. You'll also need to get under it to see how much of the original mechanism is there.
well on American Muscle it says i need those cables above and to slightly modify the handle is that good?

• Sponsors (?)

well on American Muscle it says i need those cables above and to slightly modify the handle is that good?

I don't know why the handle would need to be modified, but I'm sure they know more than me. I put a SSBC rear disc conversion kit on my '86, different from your SN95, and I didn't have to change anything on the handle or adjusting mechanism, just replace the old cables with the new.

I don't know why the handle would need to be modified, but I'm sure they know more than me. I put a SSBC rear disc conversion kit on my '86, different from your SN95, and I didn't have to change anything on the handle or adjusting mechanism, just replace the old cables with the new.
Well im not sure I just read it lol but the guy who sold it to me said I can use SVO cables but he didnt do the 5 lug so I dont think hes got it right but not sure maybe sVO cables would work since its 5 lug and disc breaks

Well im not sure I just read it lol but the guy who sold it to me said I can use SVO cables but he didnt do the 5 lug so I dont think hes got it right but not sure maybe sVO cables would work since its 5 lug and disc breaks

I'd ask the guy who did the disc conversion about it, but Mustang5L5 is really knowledgable and I'm sure can help you out.

The guy who did it isnt in the picture no clue who did it the guy I bought it from didn't do it he bought the car then sold it to me right after.
You're good, we just have to establish what 5 lug swap was done, there are several ways to do it. It appears to me it has the internal park brake, the park brake has shoes inside the rotor.

You need two of these cables. Those are SN95 GT rear disks.

Center cable and handle is unique to the 4eye cars. Nobody reproduces it. Youll need to try and track one down or use the 87-92 center cable or adjustable center cable and modify it to fit.

As for the handle, you want to lock out the self adjuster mechanism but only if you run an adjustable center cable.

4eye cars are kinda funky when it comes to the parking brake. Do you have a center cable?

You need two of these cables.

Center cable and handle is unique to the 4eye cars. Nobody reproduces it. Youll need to try and track one down or use the 87-92 center cable or adjustable center cable and modify it to fit.
would the one i sent from summit not work? American Muscle states it works with 5 lug conversions

The m-2810-a cable is typically for 87+ cars, but it may work work some modification. The issue is you still need the equalizer bar, so you need to track down a 79-86 Center cable regardless

Okay thank you so I need a 79-86 stock OEM cable?

Back on a PC and can type.

So you are sure the center cable is MIA right? The center cable on the pre-87 cars differs from the 87+ Cars. The handle in the 87+ had a self-adjuster built into the handle. On the early cars the actual center cable had an adjustment nut.

I haven't worked on mamy pre-87 cars so it excapes me what the cable looks like. The M-2810-A center cable might work, but it doesn't come with a tensioner equalizer bar. You would need to source one, and i'm not sure if the 87+ one would work. Nobody makes the pre-87 center cable though, so not an easy task. You may need to make your own hybrid center cable out of the adjustable M2810 cable (8mm nut threads onto this BTW) and the equalizer bar from an 87+

The other two cables linked at LMR will connect to that bar and go to the disk brakes. They route along the "football" guides under the car that were the same on 79-92 mustangs.

One other peice you might want to get

If you head a junkyard these are on every 79-04. They bolt to the sway bar mount on the control arm and pull the parking brake cable away from the rear tires to prevent rub.

Back on a PC and can type.

So you are sure the center cable is MIA right? The center cable on the pre-87 cars differs from the 87+ Cars. The handle in the 87+ had a self-adjuster built into the handle. On the early cars the actual center cable had an adjustment nut.

I haven't worked on mamy pre-87 cars so it excapes me what the cable looks like. The M-2810-A center cable might work, but it doesn't come with a tensioner equalizer bar. You would need to source one, and i'm not sure if the 87+ one would work. Nobody makes the pre-87 center cable though, so not an easy task. You may need to make your own hybrid center cable out of the adjustable M2810 cable (8mm nut threads onto this BTW) and the equalizer bar from an 87+

The other two cables linked at LMR will connect to that bar and go to the disk brakes. They route along the "football" guides under the car that were the same on 79-92 mustangs.

One other peice you might want to get

If you head a junkyard these are on every 79-04. They bolt to the sway bar mount on the control arm and pull the parking brake cable away from the rear tires to prevent rub.
I'll check for the center cable but I was considering having someone do this for me I want to learn but I just might not have the skills do this ive literally worked on a car twice recently changed my first oil out lol. I will look more to see what I can find off other cars parting out. I would just hate to buy the M-2810-A center cable and it not work and the bar is going to be a hunt to find for sure.

I'll check for the center cable but I was considering having someone do this for me I want to learn but I just might not have the skills do this ive literally worked on a car twice recently changed my first oil out lol. I will look more to see what I can find off other cars parting out. I would just hate to buy the M-2810-A center cable and it not work and the bar is going to be a hunt to find for sure.

Mixvees, check out the files I posted above to get a picture of what the original '86 emergency brake linkage looks like, then compare to what you have under your Mustang. The diagram shows the equalizer bar and the pulleys the cables go over when they make a 90 degree turn.