First Foxbody / Commuter

mikerunt

Aug 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Bought my first Foxbody a week ago. Was a single owner car with 97xxx miles.

LX / 5.0 / Auto

Minimal-ish mods like e303 cam, GT heads, cobra manifold, headers exhaust, etc.

Goal is for it to be a fun daily driver - LA to Irvine 3 days a week.

First round of mods I’ll be doing are:

- SVE radiator and fan kit for that LA traffic
- under pulley
- 130amp alt
- battery relocation to the rear

After I get that in, I’ll be doing:

- new door rubber and window seals (pre-“winter”)
- full MSD ignition
- aluminum drive shaft

Excited to get dirty in this thing!

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Under drive pulleys are a waste of time/money
Battery relocation is not what I would do for a 'daily/occasional ' driver and can be problematic
You're gonna need that 3g alternator upgrade with the radiator/fan kit, here is a link to see how it's done:
The stock ignition is more that capable, there have been some durability problems with the msd stuff but there are a lot of rods running around with minimal problems. Just remember, stock, on the parts store shelf replacement parts are everywhere, msd breaks you gotta wait for the mail man or woman, ups or fedx to get it to you,
One of our members just did a 'test' of the door rubbers so before you spend your money, look here:
Now post some pics, use this thread to document your progress and the members will cheer you along!
Disclaimer: the opinions of this member are not base on any mechanical ability and caution should be taken when applying any of his advice. :jester:

Reactions: 1 user
Skip the U/D pullies.

Also, if daily driver reliability in traffic is your desire, keep the mechanical fan.

I’d also find a better rad than the SVE brand rad.

Tunes! Gotta have good stereo. Need a good sub woofer particularly. Dont need to rattle the neighborhood windows, but need to fill the lows in really good. I'm a music lover for sure and for me, no good car goes without good tunes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I'm in agreement with the masses.
Wouldn't do the under drive pulleys for nuthin, or the rear battery, or the MSD. I'd also keep the stock fan because it's simple and very dependable.
That's great news though....spend that money on some other stuff! Pics! Pics! Welcome to stangnet.

Under drive pulleys are a waste of time/money
Battery relocation is not what I would do for a 'daily/occasional ' driver and can be problematic
You're gonna need that 3g alternator upgrade with the radiator/fan kit, here is a link to see how it's done:
The stock ignition is more that capable, there have been some durability problems with the msd stuff but there are a lot of rods running around with minimal problems. Just remember, stock, on the parts store shelf replacement parts are everywhere, msd breaks you gotta wait for the mail man or woman, ups or fedx to get it to you,
One of our members just did a 'test' of the door rubbers so before you spend your money, look here:
Now post some pics, use this thread to document your progress and the members will cheer you along!
Disclaimer: the opinions of this member are not base on any mechanical ability and caution should be taken when applying any of his advice. :jester:

Appreciate all the feedback! In my 66’ Mustang the MSD made all the world of difference. I assumed that delivering good spark with the cam, heads, etc would be a worthy spend of $$$. Not the case?

Def on board with the 3G Alt - that is on its way now, thanks for the link!!!

Wouldn't do the under drive pulleys for nuthin, or the rear battery, or the MSD. I'd also keep the stock fan because it's simple and very dependable.
That's great news though....spend that money on some other stuff! Pics! Pics! Welcome to stangnet.

Understood on the rear battery - seems like universally everyone hates that idea . With the under pulley, at $90 it seems like a small investment for what seems like decent performance and since I have to throw the new 3G alt on it seemed like an easy small mod to do at the same time.

Skip the U/D pullies.

Also, if daily driver reliability in traffic is your desire, keep the mechanical fan.

I’d also find a better rad than the SVE brand rad.

The current stock cooling doesn’t seem to like LA traffic. I did a full flush, checked the thermostat, all seems to be in good working order. I feel like it needs at minimum a better aluminum radiator and the twin fans move WAY more air than the mechanical fan. What should I look out for on the electrical fan?

It's not about performance with the under drive pulleys. That small amount of power isn't worth the loss of cooling and charging. I ran them for years and finally got smart...never again. And second guessing the factory fan is also not a good idea. It's cooled cars way more radical than yours in much hotter climates.
Fyi....there's guys responding to you that have been building these cars for 30 years each. We can only give you solid advice from many many cars built. Up to you if you take it.

Last edited:

Here she is for now.
58B034F3-0B55-4FA7-A5CD-ED32170AA700.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Do you think with adding the 3G alt and the electric fans it would make up for it?
You wont notice either . Leave the underdrive pulleys off. I m no one special here but I have been through the motions if you’d like to check out my thread over the last 7 years I’ve learned the do’s and don’ts save yourself the mistakes .

Electric fans and a 3g are a must but both are only as good as the install . Edit - fans Are a must for me on high hp street cars . Stockers the clutch is great. If you use an oem type fan though I have no issues with a e fan for daily use

You wont notice either . Leave the underdrive pulleys off. I m no one special here but I have been through the motions if you’d like to check out my thread over the last 7 years I’ve learned the do’s and don’ts save yourself the mistakes .

Electric fans and a 3g are a must but both are only as good as the install . Edit - fans Are a must for me on high hp street cars . Stockers the clutch is great. If you use an oem type fan though I have no issues with a e fan for daily use

Much appreciated! 3G + Fans = Yes, Underpulley No.

• Agree