First Foxbody / Commuter

I'm for the aluminum driveshaft, they run very smooth.
Never hurts to have a better alternator, so i'm for the 3g.
When done right the E fan can work, but I see it as a very poor value financially. Maybe something to do down the road.
Forget the msd, plain old does nothing.
I'd be putting all my money into 5 lug brakes, wheels and tires and maximum motorsports suspension parts.

Driving around on skinnies is pretty much terrible for steering and braking.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Boy do they make some heat too esp with some converter . I have the derale double stack cooler with -6 fittings and a fan on it right in the lower bumper opening

Thoughts on this guy? Seems $$$$

I can say when I went to a flex fan on my 347 the temps stayed cool but I could feel a loss of power. The flex fan didn't have a clutch and sounded like a supercharger. That was right before the car I have now with the Contour fans. Don't know how much power the factory fan takes away but it's still worth it for reliability unless you're good with wiring and some customization.

I just use two 40amp bosch relays [5pin] connected in parallel with clamping diodes... have been for years with my mark8 fan
I originally used 1 Bosch 70A relay & a 2nd for the A/C. It worked okay, but you sure knew when it turned on, i.e. 105A for 2-3 sec. with the Mark VIII. Then Brian came out with the Variflow & later the DCC PWM controller. He & I have the 2 original ones, both still work after 20 years. If not for the LED indicator, you can't tell when it comes on.

Thanks everyone for the help and input so far - quick update:

1. Sent back a lot of the stuff I ordered, like UD pulleys, to LMR after the feedback here
2. Doing a deeper dive on the 5 lug conversion or more cost effective rear disc conversion - reason being is I like the wheels and tires I have and being in LA we don’t get a lot a rain.
3. I already have the bug for more power, and I’ve caught my self reading through the “stroker vs SC” threats
4. I would like to check my timing, but am looking for some guidance on the timing gun of pref. from this group. Spent a lot of time googling, the MSD one seemed to get reviews but there are tons on Amazon. Any help would be appreciated!

That’s a good looking car.

As far as ignition goes, the stock duraspark is fine. I do like my Davis distributor though.

For good, cheap cooling, you can buy a sn95 aluminum radiator (I like the americanmuscle.com house brand one, sr performance) and get a 94/95 oem electric fan from a junkyard or even new on rock auto. The sn95 fans put out some pretty serious air volume, and will directly bolt to the sn radiator. I’ve ran that setup with underdrive pulleys on multiple cars and never had a charging issue, or problems keeping cool. I’ve driven in stop and go traffic here in Savannah and my temp will stay exactly where my thermostat is set to.

I guess I’m one of the rare people who actually wouldn’t knock the underdrives. If you’re going to upgrade to the 3g alternator anyways, you won’t even notice. Along with a good radiator the pulleys really won’t negatively affect you. Tuff stuff actually makes a 150a unit that comes with wiring supplies and everything for $200 and it’s a nice piece. Plus made in the USA.

As far as the driveshaft goes, that’s your call. If your current driveshaft is still in good balance, I’d recommend just leaving it be. They actually hold up to a good bit of abuse.

For a timing light, the good ole $40 lights work great. No need to get fancy here with all kinds of displays and everything. If it’s got a single button, it’ll get the job done every time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users